addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Read Between the Wines: West-Side Message Board Reader Submissions › No-Book Library? BiblioTech Is Coming

No-Book Library? BiblioTech Is Coming

Kate P.
KaleidoscopeK8
Group Organizer
Lakewood, OH
Post #: 4
Check out this article:
No-Book Library? BiblioTech Is Coming

What are your thoughts?
Kate P.
KaleidoscopeK8
Group Organizer
Lakewood, OH
Post #: 5
I agreed with the majority of comments on the actual article, particularly:

"Call me paranoid, but I am uncomfortable with a future where all of human knowledge is stored in devices powered by electricity, in forms that can be deleted and edited. Books may be old fashioned, but they are also easily passed between people with no trace, cannot be changed once printed (unless you deface them, then it's kinda obvious) and require no power."

"Faherenheit 451 here we come. Pretty soon there will be no permanent records about anything. People and events can be changed or made to have never occurred."
Bill O
user 12227495
North Olmsted, OH
Post #: 4
I suppose there is a plus side, I mean fewer trees cut down for paper, but I think behind all this are manufacturors product pushing something new and, of course, totally unneccesary and more expensive. I'm sure they have programed these readers to send signals back to corporate about what your reading and where your reading it. More like George Orwell's 1984, which if I may, recommend we should (re)read.
Personnally I like my books and refuse to bite.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm not anti-technology - obviously. However, I don't own and e-reader and I probably never will. I don't like reading from a screen, I don't want to have to charge a battery to read, and I like being able to drop my book (even in the snow) and still have the words work. Yes, most of my books are heavier than an e-reader, but they help build upper body strength. Yes, trees are sacrificed for book printing, but I have recycled all my life thanks to my mom's good example and feel I've done my part to counter that. Yes, e-readers are the "wave of the future," but just because you can do something doesn't always mean that you should. My humble opinion.