Ours is a small-group gathering in which we talk about whatever we each have independently read since the last meeting —be it history, science, biography, the fine arts, literary fiction, or expertly-crafted popular titles— long or short form. Sometimes we sneak-in a discussion of film and documentaries too...
We don't yearn for a large membership roll. Our goal is to establish a small circle of interested and interesting reader-writers who want to share their enthusiasm about what they read. Since we are glad to nurture the group patiently and selectively, membership is capped at 25 individuals who are eager to participate (approx. 1+/season or 4+/yr). If the cap is reached, we'll maintain a waiting list for those who wish to be notified when openings occur.
Monthly meetings are limited to 6 (sometimes 8) participants and are almost always held on Sundays in commercial establishments around the Del Mar area for either brunch or afternoon tea/happy hour.
Additional meetings for established, active, and committed members may occur on other days and in private settings. These meetings will not necessarily be posted on the website.
Given that we are a group for writers and aspiring writers, at some point we may also form a very small "critique" sub-group in which we can present and discuss our own work. However, our own work will never comprise the marrow of the regular meetings.
Five “Common Courtesy” Rules:
1) Pleasant participation without pecuniary self-interest is expected at all times. And although differences of opinion that spur superb conversations are welcome, intolerance of people or ideas, rudeness, and self-righteousness are antithetical to the spirit of this group.
2) Attendees are responsible for payment of their own repasts directly to the commercial venues in which we meet. In fairness to the people who earn their living there, each attendee is asked to purchase a refreshment appropriate to the mealtime and to tip the server.
3) Because membership is capped, new members are urged to attend an event within the first three months of joining. Members who do not attend for an extended period of time may be removed from the group in order to accommodate participants who evince greater interest.
4) Since ours are small-group gatherings, anyone who RSVP’s and does not show without first cancelling will be removed from the group. (Emergencies are, of course, exempted.)
5) For purposes of identification at meetings, each member must post a photo on the group's meetup website that clearly shows the individual's face. Additionally, all must post their own first name and a brief introduction.
In closing: If you're a pleasant person, an enthusiastic reader, and a competent writer, we hope that our goals and parameters meet with your approval and that you will want to give our group a try. In any case, we wish you well in all of your reading and writing endeavors.