Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of New York City Message Board › Job Posting: Program Specialist and Business Counselor
Calling all RPCVs with some business experience and an interest in small business development and microfinance.
I'm leaving my job at an NGO in White Plains and am looking for a replacement with some development background. Below is the job description
WOMEN'S ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT CENTER INC.
1133 Westchester Avenue Suite N-220
White Plains, NY 10604
Program Coordinator and Business Counselor
Purpose of Position: Ensure the continued success and operation the Women's Enterprise Development Center’s Entrepreneurial Training Programs and Services in Spanish.
Agency Overview: The Women's Enterprise Development Center Inc. (WEDC) is a non-profit microenterprise development program, a Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Women’s Business Center, and an Empire State Development Corporation Entrepreneurial Assistance Program (EAP) Center, designed to help women achieve economic self-sufficiency through small business development. Our mission is to build a vibrant community of women entrepreneurs by providing high-quality programs and services to both start up and established women business owners in Westchester County and the Lower Hudson Valley, New York, including training and microenterprise funding opportunities for minority and economically disadvantaged women. Since 2001 WEDC has been offering training programs in Spanish.
Responsibilities: Overall management of WEDC’s programs in Spanish including:
• Coordinate six business workshops annually, approximately three hours each
• Coordinate all aspects of WEDC’s 15 week entrepreneurial training program in Spanish including recruitment, assessment, orientation, scheduling of classes, graduation
• Be a liaison between trainers and participants; workshop presenters and attendees
• Conduct hour long counseling sessions, 5-10 times monthly
• Provide micro-loan counseling and assist in micro-loan package development
• Assist WEDC client’s to pursue MWBE certification
• Work with WEDC volunteers to increase the number of clients who receive business counseling
• Conduct outreach in the community - represent and promote WEDC’s programming at local events
• Prepare flyers and materials in Spanish
The appropriate candidate should possess the following qualities and skills:
• Self-starter who demonstrates initiative
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience with business training programs, business ownership and/or non-profit management
• Experience with workshop organization and facilitation
• Fluent in Spanish
• Ability to work with diverse populations
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite; ability to learn database program
• Understanding of and experience with microfinance
• Understanding of MWBE certification and government contract procurement
Contact: Anne Janiak, Executive Director