addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › Know-it-All AJ Jacobs

Know-it-All AJ Jacobs

A former member
Post #: 2
i was very eager to start this book. i don't know if anyone has started yet, but just a warning- if you read it in public, be prepared for strange glances in your general direction. this book is really funny and you will find it difficult to keep from snickering to yourself.
A former member
Post #: 3
I agree, I am only just starting the "D's" and have already had people wondering what I found so funny.
Definitely an enjoyable read so far.
A former member
Post #: 3
Whew! OK, now I am on "N." Did anyone else lose steam around this point?
A former member
Post #: 14
I am! I'm only at the G's, and honestly the only thing I can remember from earlier in the book, is why eggplants are called eggplants (they are named after the white variety of the plant). Im finding it hard to get through the book, mostly because I do not really care about the character. So what if he finishes the encyclopedia, there is not really anything to keep me connected to him as a character, other then the interesting fact about abalone.
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 46
I am at g also but I am finding the book pretty funny. The author is very good at psycho analyzing himself which I think adds to the absurdity of his quest. I really enjoy the conversations with the brother in law Eric it is very amusing how he manages to effortlessly and somewhat innocently one up AJ every time!
I can relate to the author a little, I have completely forgotten everything I learned at school and college and am currently trying to refresh my memory (not reading Encyclopedias though).
A former member
Post #: 38
I actually really like the character! I think he is hilarious, and I can see myself in him a lot...the way he analyze things I find fascinating. It's a strange quest, but a really intriguing one, and I'm learning lots of things I hope will be useful for my next trivial pursuit game!
A former member
Post #: 15
Yeah he is funny, but I guess I meant that there does not seem to be any rising or falling action... its all encyclopedia all the time, or events relating to how to apply the encyclopedia. Maybe I am not far enough into the book...but I find myself less enthusiastic as I get further along.
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 50
Had another great book discussion last night, thanks everyone for coming. I am still astounded at the number of facts Casey could recall - I think you should read the EB.
Excellent book choice Alexis, can't wait to start the next one!

Once again a few no shows, luckily the restaurant did not believe us when we said how many people were coming and they added tables as people arrived so this time it worked out. But next month please everyone if you can not make it change your RSVP to NO by 5pm on the day of the event - thanks!
A former member
Post #: 5
Sorry I missed. I am in the midst of moving to my new place. Ed