addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › Field trip to Tehran

Field trip to Tehran

A former member
Post #: 34
Halfway through, I thought it'd be nice to plan a field trip to Tehran this weekend for those interested. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that for each book we read?

Initially the book was a bit of a slow read, but picked up (at least for me) when The Great Gatsby went on trial in the classroom. Having read Fitzgerald's classic, it was interesting to view the interpretations through the eyes and minds of fearful, repressed individuals. I'd never considered the concept of Fitzgerald vs Islam...I shouldn't be, but I'm amazed at how enforcing ignorance is such a powerful political tool.
Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 12
I agree Scott, it certainly took a while to get into this story, but it gets far more interesting when the stage is set in Tehran.
A former member
Post #: 26
Well, I actually have not had that much time to read this month, but I am still planning on coming to the discussion. I think I am on page 50 or so, maybe I can get a bit further by Tuesday....
A former member
Post #: 35
You'll never make it by Tuesday, Lorraine, if you're only by page 50.
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 102
I don't think I'm going to get through this one it is interesting but heavy going it is taking me so long to read. Did any one get through it and does it ever pick up the pace?
A former member
Post #: 36
Yep, Chelsea... I read it all the way through the end as of last night. It was a bit of a trudge, but also consider the heaviness of the environment they went and are still going through. What an awful way to live...being subjected to a political condition with no real way out. I wonder why anyone even lives in Iran at all. The slow heaviness serves to enforce the lack of freedom which we consider a given right.

I think Azar and her 'girls' ... I wonder at their abilities to surive in such an opressive society. What also intrigues me is their desire to remain in a false homeland. I'm left saddened considerably.