addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › A Walk In The Woods

A Walk In The Woods

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Everyone. I am finished reading this book. If anyone wants to borrow it please email me. Take care. Beryl
A former member
Post #: 22
my thoughts so far...

1. a lot of people reviewed and liked this book. a lot. i have the 98 broadway paperback, and let me just ask, was it really necessary to include 3 pages of excerpts from reviews? damn.
i'm sure this was the publishers' and not mr. bryson's doing. he seems like a guy that doesn't take himself or his writing too seriously. i like his style.

2. i have a confession to make: i am obsessed with reading personal ads. times dispatch, craigslist, match- you name 'em. i know, it's really sick and quite voyeuristic, but i can't help myself. 3 out of 5 people list hiking as one of their hobbies as in "... my name is cindy and i enjoy dancing and shopping and hiking... after reading about the bears, and the "hantaviruses" and the piss laden pillows and i now know that 98% of those people are LIARS. they just like the idea of hiking. which leads me to my next thought:

3. hiking is some serious shit. to read that due to global warming, the appalachians may be gone in 50 years (in my lifetime!) i found myself musing "ohh... maybe i should go on a hike sometime. not the entire thing, just maybe a two week trip..." i was really getting into it, browsing on patagonia's website and wondering who i could drag with me. and then the limb- nibbling bear talk began... i promptly decided reminiscing over the pictures from my 4th grade trip to shenandoah will have to suffice.

4. this is the second book where rural georgia isn't lookin' too good. and this time we can't even say "oh, it was the seventies." hmmm. could this part of the country actually be going backwards?

that's it for now, but of course, i'm only in the smokies...
A former member
Post #: 297
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 167
Ok Tracy I had to google ROTFLMAO! and for those of you that are as uncool as I am it stands for 'Rolling on the floor laughing my ass (arse) off'.

I agree, Tiffany you crack me up too. I agree with everything you said, I am also starting to wonder about Georgia!

I'm just leaving our very own Shenandoah National Park and loving the book. I'm a big fan of Bryson he has the ability to amuse, entertain, educate, inspire (also had urges to go hiking) and make you think all within a few paragraphs.

Don't forget to make notes as you read everyone! There is a reasonable amount of questions etc in google-land but would very much appreciate it if you all emailed me at least one favorite quote or a question for discussion!

Thanks!!!
A former member
Post #: 31
ok, my favorite part,( I am sorry if some ppl have not gotten here yet) is when Bryson and his friend are on the trail and he gets awaken by some sort of animal in the middle of the night. He thinks its a bear and freaks out. I am not sure of the page numbers, I will hae to look it up.

I like this book, although it is kind of grim in spots. Also, I kind of want to take a trip to see that town in PA that has a fire burning underneath it, it sounds fantastic. Actually, this is the second book that I have read that references that town, Centralia PA.

I never knew about the murders along the trail. Scary and also very sickening, noone is safe anywhere, anymore.

PS. Chelsea- I had no idea what ROTFLMAO meant either. Its like the TV commerical (if anyone has seen it) I think its for verizon, where the teenage girl and the mom are fighting over text messages, and the teenager talks only in those acronyms. "IDK, my BFF Jill..." OMG
A former member
Post #: 23
i finished the book on friday, and i really enjoyed it. i've actually wanted to read some of his other titles, not totally making the connection that they were written by the same author. (does that make any sense?) it sort of all came together while i was looking at the advertisement in the back of the book for "bill's other great adventures." guess those publishers aren't so dumb after all ;) i just ordered i'm a stranger here myself from amazon. probably won't get to it read it for a while though. i'm still plowing through the corrections. BTW lorraine, i can see why you were put off by this book (the corrections). chip is a total pervert. like, as in "i need a really hot shower every three pages" kind of pervert. but once you get past him, it's actually a pretty decent book.

but back to the book at hand...

i want to know what everyone else thinks so far.
A former member
Post #: 13
Doh!! People are already done with the book??? I guess I should start reading... At least I'm feeling quite hip for already knowing what ROTFLMAO meant. I can also say I have actually been to Centralia, PA, the town on fire. It's an interesting/sad story and yes, there are still a few people who live there but most of the residents have scattered. For people who want to see pictures and read more about it, here's a cool website: http://www.u-town.com...­.
A former member
Post #: 4
I just finished reading it and I thought it was pretty good. I can relate to this book because I used to do alot of backpacking when I lived in California. I used to hike up into the John Muir wilderness of the eastern Sierra Mountains so the type of hiking I did was quite a bit different from the book. The most notable difference was that the mountains I hiked were in the 10,000 - 14,000 foot range. Also, we were able to camp anywhere you wanted to and we always camped along a lake or stream. A campfire was a very important part of the camping I used to do and I didn't see any references to it at all in this book. But the ever changing weather, the animal and the importance of being prepared all struck a nerve. All in all, I thought this was a great choice. I did go back and read a Feast of Snakes and all I can say is I thought you all were being very, very proper in your reviews and discussions of that book. I thought it was by far the worse book I've every read and I'm not glad I read it and I don't think I'm a better, more understanding person for it. I thought it was vulgar to the extreme, it's definition of true love has no place in mainstream literature.
A former member
Post #: 24
beth, you're okay because this book is actually a fairly quick read even though the thickness of the book and the font size may signal otherwise. i usually don't like to start a book club book too early, for fear of forgetting the details, but running out of time to finish the last two books has taught me a lesson.
btw, there's a warning for you on the back of the book that it is"choke on your coffee funny." you know how you are with your plethora of beverages. we can't have you choking on your coffee, tea, beer, wine and sparkling water. you would drown. (i'm only teasing)

scott, i didn't go back to feast of snakes as i had promised. i suppose i will one day...
A former member
Post #: 14
Thanks for the warning Tiffany! :) I shall be careful to keep the book far away from my Parade of Beverages. I'm really looking forward to reading this book, everyone's comments have me intrigued.