addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Roanoke Robotics & Makers Club of Southwest Virginia Message Board › need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 12
Imagine you dont have to open your bot take out the arduino and plug it into a computer to program it imagine your bot plugs it self in to the wall and you walk up to it and use your built in computer to program it on the spot.it eliminates alot of work. there was a scene in the movie flubber where the hovering robot plugs it self into the wall and charges itself ive allways loved that scene. but thats not the point my point is no removing the microcontrollers none of that just simply plug your bot into a power scorce anywhere and program it on the spot. im not a programmer but it could be good for display or as a way to swap modes for maker fairs conventions quickly. anyways i ramble on here are my new pics
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 13
ok so my pictures arent loading anymore
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 14

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 15
one other thing, ive been building this and have recently kicked it into overdrive so i could bring it to the meeting on the 7th but i have a question... will the science museum let me bring this monster in?
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 16
another thing occurred to me how do i get it into the back of my jeep its now verry heavy and too heavy for me to lift alone like in the middle of downtown Roanoke and out the back of my jeep into the museum up 4 floors through the hallways with out it mindlessly running through a wall then the same route in reverse. the hardest thing is mobility its like trying to lift a power chair 2 feet off the ground and placing it in the trunk but heavie.r
Gary Y.
user 38202422
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 28
Austin AWESOME. You are engineering. You are prototyping, rethinking, prototyping. very cool, can be frustrating at times, but that makes the thrill of victory even sweeter.

Dont worry about the Science Museum, the bigger the better, many are awed by even the most modest projects (in our eyes).....they love creativity, they love excitement & imagination, they love robots. but it has to fit thru doors, go down aisles, go around corners ( so dont make one 50 feet long ).

Your design needs to eventually account for portability, and break down into sections that allow transportation. That is unless your robot is the transportation or a full size Godzilla that eats Tokyo.

The CRT monitor on top of your segbot has to be top heavy. Phase 2 maybe can scale that monitor down to a smaller lightweight screen. Will make your batteries last longer to.
May have to remove batteries when transporting so it can lifted.

One thing to think about. What happens if a critical component fails while the segbot is in operation ? Does it have a device to slow its decent to earth ?

Jay , do you have professional connections anymore to get service units of small flat video monitors used in automobile backup systems - headrest displays ( 7 inch TFT LCD monitors?) $10-$15 ? 4 inch monitors ? Please advise on possibilities. Thanks

Micah & Tim probably have some tricks up their sleeve too.
A former member
Post #: 20
wow... if only you knew... I have about 6-7 boxes of tft LCD monitors about 60 per box give or take. I have 4-5 different models and brands, sizes from 2"-7". I even have the program to run one from an arduino.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 17

Gary Y.
user 38202422
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 29
wow... if only you knew... I have about 6-7 boxes of tft LCD monitors about 60 per box give or take. I have 4-5 different models and brands, sizes from 2"-7". I even have the program to run one from an arduino.
The club meets at the remodeled Science Museum now. If you want to unload some monitors to get them out of the way, please feel free. We could use them for demos & teaching sessions, & special projects. In fact, if you are in town during a weekend that we have a meeting, the club would enjoy a learning session of how to use the arduino to drive a monitor. I'm sure it would inspire some new thinking.
Gary Y.
user 38202422
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 30

Excellent, video answers alot.
You have made incredible progress.
I also see the monitor isnt a permanent part of the vehicle. ROFL, I imagined Max Headboom ( Coke commercials , Back to the Future movies) talking to people on the video screen while the vehicle ran around.