addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Roanoke Robotics & Makers Club of Southwest Virginia Message Board › need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 24
Im reworking the frame of this robot im making it lighter and more user friendly so that i might be able to carry or drive it into buildings without damaging property or my back. For anyone that still intends to help me with my programming i Do still need it i have all the parts but no program im not a programmer although i am making an attempt to learn i fail allot and dont want to do this part of it as a beginner taking on a project such as a "self balancing autonomous robot" is WAY too much for me to even think of im a builder a designer im good with wiring designing nailing welding but i have never been good with 1's and 0's on top of that my computer wont install arduino drivers (and yes i know i have to get them from their site) In the mean time i have been using vex to test. Ive decided to build the upper body and i have started tonight. I was browsing online for ideas "inspiration" I came across this web page http://www.hessmer.or...­
Where the guy is nearly the same project minus the autonomous part. If anyone here still indeed intends to help me with this very hard project then i would ask that you look at his code and maybe send me something basic that i can use for the next step i just need it to balance and at this point im willing to pay depending on the ammount of work you put into it for those of you that have helped allot already i thank you.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 25
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 26
I keep searching for similar projects to use the code from but its hard as i am atempting something that only the military and few others have tried. I found this code and i would like someone to help me by uploading it to the arduino ide and making it valid for the latest version It makes me sa mad and frustrated when i get Try so very hard to find or make code and everything is against me and when i tried to update it all i did was mess it up even more. This person is using almost the same setup as me almost the same parts. Please tell me it doesnt matter what size motor i use and how many rpms they have or how many watts my sabertooth is its the same platform that can Handel more power running through it the only other difference i see is the accelerometer he is using its smaller it has different ports different names im using https://www.sparkfun....­
this is the page i have gotten the code from http://www.instructab...­
and the other thing is he is using the arduino im using the arduino r3 which i hope doesnt matter
Tim B.
Tim_Brandsberg
Goode, VA
Post #: 10
Is there a club member in the Roanoke area who can meet with Austin and help him set up the arduino IDE and the libraries needed for this project. He has an mpu6050 IMU that needs some extra libraries setup to access the 6050 unit.

Here is some more information that I sent him last night:
The file named Balance_bot_MPU6050_DMP6_TAB_001.ino is the program sketch that causes the arduino to talk with the 6050. I will send it out in another message.

However, to get this sketch to work, you need to set up some files into the Arduino library:
Wire.h, I2Cdev.h, and MPU6050.h

These files can be found at
https://github.com/jr...­ and

http://www.varesano.n...­

If you don't know how to install libraries, search on Google. After a bit of searching you still cant, send me another message.

Tim Brandsberg

// Balance_bot_MPU6050_DMP6_TAB_001.ino
Tim B.
Tim_Brandsberg
Goode, VA
Post #: 11
Balance_bot_MPU6050_DMP6_TAB_001.ino

my file is too big to fit into the message length. I sent it directly to him in an email. If any of you want to help send me an email at tabrandsberg@gmail.com and I will send it to you.

Tim Brandsberg
Tim B.
Tim_Brandsberg
Goode, VA
Post #: 12
Austin,

My recovery from my Nov. 4th knee replacement is coming along well. I was surprised how little in the robotics area that I was energized to do. However, a couple of weeks ago I started to work on my small balancing robot using an arduino and a 6050 module. I am comfortable that when I have my robot working it will be a good match for your project. However I started to be energized about the time that my doctor said that I can go back to work. I started back at my engineering job last Monday.

Getting back to my little robot, when I started getting started evaluating the 6050, I think that I fried it. The unit that I bought from Sparkfun required a supply voltage of no more than 3.3 volts, and I mis-wired it to the 5 volts. I ordered two more from another source that will run from 5 volts and carefully set it up and ran the 6050 demonstration software that I found from a link at the Arduino site. The test program uses the serial window to type out the angle values obtained from the 6050 chip and now that works.

Now, the next step is to track down some example software to digitally request the specific information from the 6050 chip and then receive the digital data that is returned. Then the software must take the digital data and calculate what to do with the motor controller to maintain the balance as well as move around.

Several of the Arduino sketches (as Arduino programs are called) that I have found do not easily mesh with the demo sketch that I have used already. I am looking for other examples while trying to interpret the sketches I have already found.

So, lets talk about your questions. What was the source of your 6050 imu chip. Do you have a link that shows the board's pinout? Are you using an Arduino UNO or something else. The UNO rev3 board has an output that provides a regulated 3.3 volt connection that you can wire to the input plus voltage of the 6050 board. Another wire should connect the ground (negative voltage) of the 6050 to the ground of the Arduino.

I addition to the power leads,there are 3 more connections between the 6050 and the arduino:

the 6050 terminal labeled INT (which is the interrupt line) should connect to the UNO digital pin number 2;
the 6050 terminal labeled SCL should connect to the UNO analog pin number A5;
the 6050 terminal labeled SDA should connect to the UNO analog pin number A4;

If I remember correctly the sabertooth unit has a 5 volt output that can provide power to the Arduino board.

This will allow both the Arduino and the 6050 to be powered and communicate.

The MPU6050 contains 3 accelerometers and 3 gyro sensors as well as the circuitry to combine the 6 sensors signals together to tell the arduino how far off balance the robot is and whether it rotating toward or away from balancing.

If you want to try to get a little further with the hardware, you could place two swivel ball castors on the base to keep the balance (one in front and one in back) and then connect the VEX receiver to the sabertooth power supply to move it around. Although cheating on the balance, it will give you a sense of whether the motors are strong and fast enough or too strong and too fast. Make sure to make a soft foam rubber bumper around the top and bottom to absorb the impact when it tips over.

I will get a sketch to you which will allow you to test the connection of the Arduino and the 6050.

Please do not be afraid to ask for help on specific questions regarding the connections, how to work the programming, etc. I don't know where you need help and the more specific your question, the better and closer to correct will be my answer. If you want me to check out your wiring, maybe you could take a picture and email it to me.

I hope this gives you a little bit of help. I will get working on the balancing routine as time permits.

Sincerely,

Tim Brandsberg
Tim B.
Tim_Brandsberg
Goode, VA
Post #: 13
Austin,

I looked at the sparkfun reference for the accelerometer that you said that you are using. That device has a digital interface with the microcontroller. The referenced instructable robot uses an accelerometer with an analog interface. That is why the ports have differant names. Unfortunately, the code from the instructable robot is incompatible with your accelerometer, if you have a ADXL345. I did some searching for a balancing robot using an ADXL345 accelerometer and did not find anything.

Talk to you again soon.

Tim Brandsberg

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 27

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 28
added weight to offset the balance on the top made it taller lighter more mobile added shelves and a compatibility switch to toggle between vex control and arduino
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 29