addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Roanoke Robotics & Makers Club of Southwest Virginia Message Board › need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

need a programmer in it for the fun of the project

Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 56
The logo nameplate is truly awesome. Proud for you, sticking with it , making progress, and the problem analysis.
Didnt open the program, but contributors could be some accuracy and update speed issues with sensor, as well as deadband in the motor driving circuit. Deadband is timing between the forward & reverse firings of the motor controller so both directions don't happen at the same time (which is pretty bad for the controller & battery) .
Thanks I have been making logos for companies and people who ask but i thought id make one for myself. When I'm not making something or taking something apart, Im drawing. If you ever need anything drawn Im cheap. Like $10.00 or less for a full design. More depending on the amount of work.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 57
Note: forcing the deadman switch breaks the code and produces a red error light making it a giant paper weight. I wired past it anyways the only advantage of bypassing the code is to free up a 5v port on the arduino
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 58
need some help with some bugs

Here is the updated code USSR ino Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.
Tim B.
Tim_Brandsberg
Goode, VA
Post #: 23
Austin,
Regarding the video you posted where the wheels were going only in one direction, it is my guess that the program has a target angle that it is trying to achieve. That angle would have been defined as a constant in the program. That angle will vary whether the IMU x-axis pointer is pointing up/down or forward/reverse. If the x axis arrow is pointing to the left or right the imu probably will never figure it out. Can you take the IMU board out into your hand and try tilting into various angles? If you can, and tilting one-way or another works, then that is telling you how to orient the imu on your robot.

If the program was setup for the IMU lying flat with the x axis pointing forward, then your must too if you don't change the program. If the program was set up for the IMU x-axis pointing up or down, then that is how yours must be as well.

Tim
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 68
So I have had many problems which Ill post here, and have had a little bit of progress towards fixing them. First my bot was running solidly in one direction. I fixed that by plugging in a radio receiver from a toy. I soldered the wires (normally leading to the toggle switches (that the program needs to run properly) ) to the motor leads on the receiver and used the toys transmitter as wireless temporary toggle switches. That made it work... until i "upgraded it". So I replaced the wires dangling down from the top portion to the bottom with an eight pin connector between the two parts for easy disassembling and reassembling, but forgot to put the rubber piece around it to stop a short circuit from occurring, and then because of the huge wires I used in it I couldn't get it apart to fix it without breaking it. So far that has not caused any problems. "I wait for the day that it does though". Next I plugged it all in and BLAM! my sabertooth 25 watt motor controller has an error light. Well, after several hours of testing, I figured out my motors were not functioning. So I took them apart and replace some gears I had machined. less expensive than new motors but also less permanent. Next I plugged it all back in and one of my 12 volt batteries died [as in not able to hold any more charge]. Well, I now have to save up 40 dollars for a new one, until then I will use a 12 volt converter I have. OKAY, so now I have the motors working the arduuino is working and the motor controller is working yay... Why is it not moving! More testing! ......... Not moving because I never plugged in a fuse. Okay, so I had this idea from the start to have the whole thing lit up. So I installed a light bulb at the top, and had it wired with the door so when it opened the light came on. temporarily I used aluminum foil and steel plate to power it. IT WORKS! ....-- Or not the bulb burnt out. Its okay I'll deal with that later. Next, let me just plug everything back in .... Nope hmm, seems I accidentally plugged in the wire from the motor controller's five volt positive port into the also red wire that leads into pin 13 on the arduino. Now my arduino isn't functioning. Okay, so MOOOOORE TESTING man I'm tired of this. I plugged it into my computer and it registers as a device then turns off immediately. (This all happens in about 2 seconds. Next I figure out the chip on my arduino [ATMEGAGA328P-PU] shorted out. :( So tomorrow I will be buying a new arduino. I found one locally for 14.98 sounds cheaper than radio shack so its a deal. Also, I will order a new chip online and hope that I can have 2 working arduino's.

Although I don't see how, it is possible that I also fried the mpu6050, and need yet another one of those. (Yes I know I still owe you one Tim ) If I have to buy another, I will buy in bulk and send you one. I'll let you guys know how it goes after I get the new parts.

Also somewhere in there I had installed a wireless twelve volt relay so that I could switch it on from across the room, or neighborhood :), but sadly the sabertooth error light was also because of that, so I uninstalled it today. Ill find a work around. (I always do).
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 69
So apparently the arduino I previously had was not made by arduino, although it was. It's an almost duplicate (I know its open source). The one I bought from amazon was from www.djlshu.com, and is a darker blue. The arduino I just bought from radio shack is like a cyan and says arduino uno on the front, plus has information on the back. The dark blue one just says arduino uno r3 on the front with the website below. I'm about to try it out I'll post here if it works.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 70
Okay, So after fixing everything its still going only in one direction. Im guessing it has something to do with the power plugs im using but It souldnt be? I just double and tripple checked the wires and solder joints all solid and not crossed or wrongly placed wires. When I power the arduino with usb from my computer and only feed a serial wire to the motor controller it acts like its trying to balance. it must be something in the wiring! I need someone else to look at it and help me because it seems im stuck in a circle of only ways i know to fix it. I wish it was as simple as building a segway but apparently not. Everyone can build a segway.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 71
I have been waiting for a meeting to get help on my projects but since were not going to be having any for a while. I'm requesting someone to meet me and have a second look at what i have so far because right now I'm stuck its been sitting in the same spot for 2 months with no new progress just allot of problems. As posted above it spins in one direction. I also have some ideas that id like to implement that can be of use while it is stationary. For one I have the parts i need for it to serve drinks. I want to add a safe with a digital coin counting mechanism built in behind a hidden door but don't know how to make a sliding door work on a motor track in the system i have. Also i have this idea to have it control those features with voice maybe google now. Like say "Give me a drink" and that part activates. or speak a pin like "1743215" and it opens a motorized slide door which reveals a coin and dollar slot that i ripped from an old change machine and "discovery kids coin counter" behind it.

So I would like to meet with someone somewhere, anywhere, my bot is completely portable now so anywhere is good and before 6pm daily and 4pm on sundays. Contact me on here or at austindovel@gmail.com. Thanks.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 77
I figured it out! Sadly for the 3rd time my mpu board is not functioning i need to buy these in sets and give one of them to tim For loaning me his. I have been trying for ages to figure out why my bot is just traveling in one direction continuously. I t works mostly it works on one axis in one direction and possibly may be because of the connectors on it which i can unsolder and re solder but it is not mine to do that to. I connected my arduino to the mpu6050 and ran a simple program that controls a servo motor i had from a paralax set. It spun in one solid direction and did not stop all other options are invalid. I tried connecting and controling the servo with the motor controller and with a vex they both worked. Also tried using the serial monitor option on the arduino to test the mpu6050 and it only returned unknown characters. I will buy a new board and test with it in the near future. Also thought about following a tutorial to the letter to make a segway then building my robot around it. bUt i have no money.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 80
I was so happy i pluged in my bot and motors and they finaly reacted the way they were supposed to. So i reinstalled my motors into the frame and connected my battery and a switch. The switch was on and i dont now what happened it all happened so fast! i connected the negative to ground and then touched positive to positive and spark! It turned on for a sec. Next it went off the motor controler does not light up it does not drive the motors. It lights up blue for 2 secondes when being powered off. the power still goes through it to the arduino. Did i fry my sabertooth?