addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange Message Board General Info for the Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange › Field Trip to Mineral Hill in Sykesville MD

Field Trip to Mineral Hill in Sykesville MD

Closed to new replies

Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
I've scheduled a field trip. For more details, see the full listing:
http://rockcollecting...­

When: November 1, 2008 9:00 AM

Where: Mineral Hill in Sykesville Maryland
MD Route 32 parking on right immediately after bridge
Sykesville, MD 21784
410-419-2963 (my cell phone)

Please take a moment to RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Maybe" as well as "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://rockcollecting...­
or Gems@thepc.net
stever
user 8298682
Finksburg, MD
Post #: 1
It could have been a perfect storm of serendipity, except we were a day late!!

On Saturday as we were driving across the bridge, I saw some folks clambering around on the rocks by the mine, but I had no idea it was an organized thing. On Sunday, we had planned to take a nice family walk along the fire trail to check out the foliage and see what we could dig up at the mine, but life intervened and we never made it. Finally, my son was looking up information for his friend about the Mineral Hill mine and found your "field trip" advertised. So, when we were commiserating about not making it to the mine, he told me that he had seen your notice, I told him that I had seen people, and we put it all together. We found this CMRMC website again, I joined, and now I'm posting.

We're interested amateurs, and we've been to the mine a few times. We found some neat specimens laying around, and we even figured out a few of the minerals we've collected, but it would still be nice to go with someone who knows a little more about what's there. We're planning on going this coming weekend, as long as it's not raining, so if anyone is interested, feel free to reply to me at "srrinmd at hotmail dot com" and we can go from there...

Steve
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 19
It was a great day for rockhounding. Sorry you missed us, you should have stopped an joined us. We are very informal. I am delighted to have newbies as well as Geologists in our club. We had about 8 kids with parents that took away about a ton of Chalcopyrite (anything that glitters). I have to admit I probably took home about 20lbs of Chalcopyrite myself (although I looked for specimens with other minerals with the Chalopyrite).

We started at 9am, some left at noon, but the last of us left around 4:30pm.

Super day, great people, excellent hunting grounds and one of the most beautiful places to go in the Fall.

I hope you will be able to make it to one of our upcoming meeting. 3rd Thursday of the month in Elkridge.