Due to popular demand, this ride is also scheduled Thursday 9/19. Please RSVP to either Thursday or Friday - not both.
This bike ride is on the road. We will enjoy one of the most popular beginner rides in Portland - the 12-mile loop around Sauvie Island, along with an 8-mile out and back detour out to Cove Café for a lunch, latte, or espresso shake! Expect some vehicle traffic and a slightly increased speed of 12-14mph.
About the Ride: Many of us have come to love Sauvie Island so we are returning for another adventure. Come and enjoy pastures, farmlands, waterways and a cozy café with tables in the sunshine. Bring your camera. You're gonna love it! Please note that a "Challenge Ride" means that we will ride further and faster than we usually ride. It is suitable to experienced riders who have been cycling this season, not first-timers.
Meeting Point: Public parking lot at the east end of the Sauvie Is. bridge
The Route: Ride With GPS has all the route details here.
Lesson: "Riding Ergonomics and How to Minimize Discomfort on the Bike"
• Ensure your bike is in safe and good-working order before the ride. Even if it was working fine a year ago, if this is your first ride in a long time, take it to a bike shop and ask for a quick safety/operation check. This is usually free, takes just a few minutes, and helps us avoid mechanical issues on group rides.
• Helmets must be worn at all times while riding. This is a requirement for all NW Butts on Bikes rides. This is one of the basic (and simple) ways we protect ourselves from injury. Please don't forget your helmet!
• Bring a right-size spare tube. If you get a flat, we can probably help, but you need to supply the tube!
• Cell phone Never go on a ride without one!
• No ear buds please
• riding/cycling gloves helps keep a good grip in spite of perspiration; protects your hands from blistering, and protects your skin in the unlikely event of a fall.
• sun/riding glasses (protection yourself from the sun and little flying bugs that can wreck your vision in an instant!)
• Water: Available at the trailhead - just remember to bring your bottle.
Restrooms: There is a porta potty at the market near the starting point. Another restroom at the mid-point, Cove Café.
Weather Policy: This ride will only cancel for heavy rain. Light showers are no big deal, especially for such a short ride. Consider wearing a light wind breaker type jacket if showers are in the forecast. (I can't tell you how many times that days with showers in the forecast turned out to be dry and beautiful.)
Pace and Terrain:This is a beginner ride with an pace of 12-14 mph. It is mostly flat with a few ups and downs on country roads. Using the scale below, I would rate as B2. For more information, contact Carolyn at [masked].
Ride Difficulty Scale For Road Rides
Flatland Windless Cruising Pace
· A 12 & Under
· B 13-14 MPH
· C 15-16 MPH
· D 17-18 MPH
· E 19-20 MPH
· F 21-23 MPH
· 1 = Flat
· 2 = Flat/Rolling
· 3 = Rolling
· 4 = Rolling / Hilly
· 5 = Hilly
· 6 = Hilly Mountainous
· 7= Mountainous
Ride Like A Girl is a subgroup of Northwest Butts on Bikes Meetup group. It is a beginner cycling group for women who want to improve their cycling and bike safety skills. For more information contact [masked]