addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › sick chicken

sick chicken

A former member
Post #: 1
We have 3 poulets and one of them seems sick. Her eggs are soft sometimes and we get one every 4 or 5 days. the other two hens are laying fine eggs. We just got oyster shells to give them and see if that helps. Does anyone know of a vet who works with chickens.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
I just saw your post. Did you find a vet? If not, I know there's one in Oakland. A veterinarian in Redding, CA told me she knew a good one for chickens. I can find out who it is if you'd like. How's she doing?
Cheryl-Meetup
calpsychik
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1,859
It's likely a reproductive infection. I'd put her on antibiotics for two weeks (you can get oxytetracycline at feedstores or online, or even amoxicillan), feed her yogurt, and make sure she has oyster shell. If you treat it right away, she should recover; if not, she'll likely die. This is a common problem in hens because they lay so many eggs. Be sure light doesn't shine on them at night, and keep their nestboxes really clean. Vitamin C, vitamin D3, and cider vinegar in the water can help with calcium absorption (don't put it in a metal waterer though).

Good luck.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for replying. I was beginning to be discouraged. My hen seems better now. After about 1 week of oyster shells she started laying more consistently (every day or every other). I didn't mention diarhea (do they get that?), but she had pretty black and watery poops. I haven't noticed it anymore. I may try some yogurt too. I don't think I'll be going to the vet yet.

The Santa Cruz event looks good, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 2
We have 3 poulets and one of them seems sick. Her eggs are soft sometimes and we get one every 4 or 5 days. the other two hens are laying fine eggs. We just got oyster shells to give them and see if that helps. Does anyone know of a vet who works with chickens.

If one is sick, it can infect the others. what are her symptoms? the soft shell eggs may not be connected.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 3
Oops, Cheryl in Santa Cruz seems on the money with her diagnosis - i was not reading down far enough to see that folks had replied. I have found the antibiotics more useful with obvious respiratory issues - ie if you hear a chicken cough or breathe noisily, that's not good.
Cheryl-Meetup
calpsychik
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1,862
Diarrhea can indicate an infection, or parasites. You can use liquid fenbendazole (SafeGuard) to worm them, although you do it at your own risk as its not approved for chickens. However, it's supposed to be very safe: I read a study that found if you overdose chickens by 100 times the dose they do not have adverse effects, and a medicine supplier told me its not absorbed into the bloodstream. The dose I was given is to mix 1 cc per 8 cc water, and give 2 cc of this to each bird. Never use the paste, as the medicine is not evenly distributed in it (the paste is for huge animals like horses).

Parasites can weaken the bird and cause deficiencies. I worm mine twice, 10 days apart, at least once a year.