addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Is it legal to raise chickens in backyard?

Is it legal to raise chickens in backyard?

Rose L.
user 9479949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi, all,

I apologize if someone asked this before(didn't find it in the message subjects). I live in Sunnyvale, is it legal to raise chickens in the backyard? Or to say is it legal to raise chickens in the backyard of California?

Thanks.

Rose
Rose L.
user 9479949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Hi, all,

I saw coneaha's post on 4/24 which talked about San Francisco.
I still need to find out whether it's ok in Sunnyvale.

Thanks.

Rose
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Rose,

I live in Point Richmond and have done everything just short of calling the city and asking if it's legal to raise chickens in my backyard (I just can't). I rent a house and I already have my chickens and looked up all the zoning for my place and nothing states anything about chickens. A house at the end of my street has several chooks, even a rooster. The girls have a backup coop in Petaluma if need be. So, I plan to live in ignorant bliss with my girls until the law stops me. For now I am following Oakland's regulations on keeping chickens. So bottom line is if you really want to know call the city and ask about regulations regarding backyard chickens or your local animal services to find out, otherwise go underground and hope your neighbors love, love, love the eggs. wink

Best of Luck!

Elaine
Courtney
user 9026668
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Rose,
It appears that you can. Sunnyvale Municipal Code is available here: http://qcode.us/codes...­

The section you should read states:

6.16.015. Nuisances by animals.
(b) It is unlawful for any person to keep any rabbits, chickens, pigeons, hogs or pigs or goats, or cows or any animal or any fowl or birds in any pen, building, yard or enclosure within the city, in such a manner that the same becomes or is a nuisance.

and

6.16.090. Animals near residences.
It is unlawful for any person to pen, enclose, or otherwise confine, any chicken, duck, pigeon, or any other bird or fowl, within twenty-five feet of an inhabited residence without the written consent of the occupant of such residence. It is unlawful for any person to stake, tie, or otherwise confine, any animal, except a dog, within two hundred feet of an inhabited residence, without the written consent of the occupant of such residence. (Ord. 1628-71 § 2 (part): prior code § 5-1.409).

Rose L.
user 9479949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
I left message to the city of Sunnyvale last week, same as Elaine suggested, but coneaha's reply arrived earlier. :0)
Thanks for the help. You guys are great!