addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › What Kind of Chickens do you have?

What Kind of Chickens do you have?

A former member
Post #: 8
One of the things we discussed during our Meetup was the breeds of chickens we have. I know there are lots of sites with basic info on temperment, size, and all the rest, but what about your personal experiences?

What kinds of hens do you have? Who's your favorite and why? How about a photo introduction?!

Hopefully this will be a fun thread!
Gina
user 8162449
Concord, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Lorraine -

I have two Rhode Island Reds, a white Rhode Island, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, an Aracana hen and a beautiful Aracana Rooster. I also have a duck - she's a Runner breed.

My Aracana is my favorite, just because she is first to greet me, let me hold her and when I'm working out back she tends to follow me around the yard.

As soon as I fugure out how to download pictures, I'll put them up :)
Should be a great thread!
Thanks - Gina
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 21
What a great idea! I don't know how to post pictures on here yet, either. But will post some when I do!

I have a Barred Rock, Delaware and Golden Laced Wyandotte. The Barred Rock is my favorite because she's lived through some tough times in her early years. Had to be quaranteened all alone after 2 others died, so we spent lots of time together bonding before I got the other 2. And she likes to follow me around "chattering" away.

Mortegirl - I'd love to hear about your Silver Laced Wyandotte. Mine seems to be on the small side. She's not a year old yet, but is only about 4 pounds. She's much smaller than my other 2 and at the bottom of the pecking order. Hasn't layed yet, either. What's yours like?
Courtney
user 9026668
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 19
I've got a Barred Rock and a White Leghorn, both bantams, both will be a year old on February 1st.

The Leghorn is the better layer and forager, but she's skittish. Despite molting for one week this season, she's beating the Barred Rock in production.

The Barred Rock has a prettier "dress" (has the appearance of fluttery ruffles and a fluffier bottom) and vocalizations. She's also confident and has been the dominate of the two since the first day I got them, at about three weeks old.

--Courtney
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9
I have 3 chickens that I bought as about 3 month old "straight run", which meant they didn't know breed or anything else about them. They are in bed in the picture that should be shown here, from left are Gracie, Tammie and Brenda. Two of the three are laying now (probably Gracie and Tammie)

A former member
Post #: 52
2 golden laced wyandottes - Pippy & Lacy : These two like to do everything together & fancy themselves the top of the pecking order. Good layers with light brown to brown eggs. (F.Y.I. Pippy & Lacy are available for adoption!)

2 white cochin - Volette & Mabel : Very sweet they like to be pet and I love how they look with there fancy fully feathered feet and bun tails. Poor layers about 3 eggs a week light brown to pinkish tan colored eggs.
1 buff cochin - Coraline : Larger than the rest of the flock so no one messes with her but still very sweet. I really love the temperment of a cochin. She's like the golden retrever of chickens. Poor layer, light brown to pinkish tan colored eggs.

1 black star or sexlink - Madalyn : Shes a great layer gets along well with everyone even plays with our beagle through the fence I will be getting more when I have a larger yard. Super star of a layer with beautiful rich brown eggs.

A former member
Post #: 1
I have two birds. A Cuckoo Maran (Flo) and an Americauna (Gertie). Both are great layers. I get one brown and one green egg pretty much every day.

I never thought that owning chickens would add so much to my life but they really have.
A former member
Post #: 9
I have four hens: Gracie (Ameracauna), Lidia (Silver-Penciled Wyandotte), Mildred (Buff Brahma) and Charlie, (also an Americauna). Gracie and Lidia will be two years old in May, while Mildred and Charlie are just 28 weeks and haven't started laying yet...any day though! Charlie has green ears, so I'm hoping for some green eggs...Gracie lays pink eggs.

The two younger hens just joined our flock at Christmas, and had a bit of difficulty getting acclimated. The rainy weather seemed to smooth things over though, as they all wanted to be inside the coop. Charlie is the bottom of the pecking order, and very skittish--I can't pick her up. Mildred is incredibly friendly, and loves to be held--she has a very sweet, high-pitched cluck--almost a chirp! Feathered feet too. Lidia has gotten more social, but she doesn't like to be held. She often picks on the other hens, though she's below Gracie in the pecking order.

Gracie is by far the most friendly. She greets me every morning by flying up on my shoulder. She's been a show-and-tell guest at my kids school, and follows me around talking whenever I'm in the yard.

Chickens are truly great pets and providers!