addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Good social board games?

Good social board games?

Vonnie
user 12888929
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Hey, what do you recommend for good social board games? I'm looking for a party game for when I have my friends over in order to get people who don't know each other as well socializing and having fun.- Vonne
Crystal
user 12300999
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 12
I like "Apples to Apples" for the situation you describe. It's pretty simple and easy for people to learn quickly.

http://amzn.com/B0011...­

Another possibility is Catch Phrase, although it does not involve a board per se.

http://amzn.com/B0000...­

Derek
derek_n
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
I really enjoyed those two as well as Balderdash for group things. We played w/o the game board.

Amazon Link

It's akin to APples to apples, but requires some extra creativity.
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 879
Catchphrase is great, but it can be a little intense for first meetings. Specifically, hypercompetitive people who aren't good at it may sulk or throw hissy fits. :-)

Definitely agreed on Apples 2 Apple.

The Monopoly card game moves a lot faster than real Monopoly, and can be pretty fun.

Scene It? can be fun. I also like Trivial Pursuit (the 25th anniversary edition), which allows for different levels of difficulty per question, which makes the game a lot more fun and engaging for most players (unlike the older, almost impossibly hard versions).

Depending on how real you want the conversation to get, I'm also a fan of dilemma games like Scruples (though the actual questions you get with the game are a little tame) or What If? You see sides of people you might not otherwise uncover.

Also, never underestimate the fun of Clue.
Caroline C.
user 12462145
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 4
Taboo is a game with similarities to Catchphrase, but in my experience it's less intensely competitive. I agree with Apples to Apples, too.