addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › A maybe list of books we could try reading in the future.

A maybe list of books we could try reading in the future.

Mike
user 10567812
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
Hi all Mike here. One of the things I noticed in talking with a lot of you is that some of you have never heard or even read some of the books I've read. So I've decided to post a list of books. Some are combinations of short stories others and the first in trilogies or a massive series. So if any of these sound interesting or even possable for discussion later don the line that be great.

"Swords of Haven"The Adventures of Hawk & Fisher" by Simon Green A series of short stories complied into one book featuring thier first three adventures

"The Book of Earth"Volume One of The Dragon Quartet" by Marjorie B. Kellogg a series of books dealing with time travel and dragons from different points in earth history.

"Inheritance"Book One of the Keys to Power by Simon Brown A series of books that deal with murder, currption and one man's destiny to clear his name and save his kingdom.

"King's Dragon" Volume One of Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott A series of books that deal with the lives of men and women from very different backgrounds dealing with the lives they lead and the choice they make along the way. (Warning this is a VERY long series)

"The Last of the Renshi"Book One by Mickey Zucker Reichert A trilogy that deals with the surviving member of a warrior clan that seeks to find out his place in the world.

"Phule's Company" by Robert Asprin A comdey sci fi series dealing with the most wealthy captain in the universe and the rag tag band of soliders under his command. (A really good series)

"Rally Cry"The Lost Regiment #1 by William R. Forstchen A series of books dealing with a Union army regiement transported to an alien world and the evil they have to face to stay alive.

"Sword Dancer" by Jennifer Roberson A series of books dealing with two unlikey allies trying to stay alive and find answers to questions they both have and to deal with the budding romance between them.

"The Dragonbone Chair" Book One of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams A trilogy dealing ithe events of a kingdom and how a simple boy could be the answer to save it.

"Hero in the Shadows" by David Gemmell A tale of one man who sought revenge and found it and how he must now deal with a new threat.

"Bazil Brokentail" by Christopher Rowley A story of a battle dragon and his boy.

"The Ancient Enemy" The First Book of Arna by Christopher Rowley A trilogy in which a land that has known nothing but peace has been invaded by an enemy out of myth...mankind.

"Forbidden Magic" Book one of The Godwars by Angus Wells A series in which the youngest son of a king escaping his chosen destiny and everything he was to stop the return of a mad god.

"Lords of the Sky" by Angus Wells A tale of a simple storyteller and how he brought peace to the lands with the aid of dragons.

"Oath of Swords" by David Weber The tale of the most unlikely hero to be chosen by a god and the fact that he has to deal with being a chosen one.

"March Upcountry" by David Weber The story of a do nothing third in line to the throne of an empire and the battle harden regiemnt that has to keep him alive long enough to take the throne.

Hopefully this list of some of the books that might be of interest. So hopefully we can talk about them later on. Enjoy.
A former member
Post #: 2
Mike- Thanks for the list of suggestions. Whether we read it in the group or not "Phule's Company" looks like another book to add to my 'to read' list.

Im pretty new to the group and my knowledge of scifi certainly isnt as vast as most of yours so I feel kind of awkward recommending reading choices but I would be interested in reading some of the 'classic' scifi works; Wells, Hubbard, Heinlien, Asimov, ect. If, of course, everyone hasnt read them already. Another book I would like to suggest is "The Illustrated Man" by Bradbury. Its basically a collection of short stories woven together. Its a very easy read and has a lot of great talking points.

See yall in January.
Theodore C.
TheodoreContes
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 2
Nice to see another person suggesting the War God's Own series; you're the only other person I know who has heard of it. The March Upcountry might be a good idea too, though it might be a bit close to Military Sci Fi for some people.

Haven't heard of some of the others, but I'll look into them.
Eli
user 11220456
Arlington, VA
Post #: 1
Thanks to all for a great discussion on Lord of Light. This was my first meeting, and I look forward to attending many more!

In keeping with the topic, here are some books that I've felt were really interesting / compelling reads:

• On My Way to Paradise by Dave Wolverton - a personal favorite, with a very distinctive, Latin American voice. A tale of a good man forced to do evil, and how he learns to adapt and atone for it
  • A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - a mind-bending space opera that I couldn't put down, about an unknown evil that is spreading at relativistic speeds across the sentient universe, and a multi-threaded story of what opposes it
  • Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson - an absolute game changer of a story that puts the nanotechnology age in the here and now
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman (cross-over?) - a modern exposition of supernatural myths made flesh. There's something about his writing style that always gets me.

I'd put Hyperion on this list, too, but I guess that's our next one. Between that and Lord of Ligh - Great choices!