addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Francisco Scuba Diving Group Message Board Gear Forum › Sealife DC1400 opinions and advice please

Sealife DC1400 opinions and advice please

Nunaddict
NunAddict
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Thinking about buying a Sealife DC1400 Pro setup but wondering what opinions people have? How does it compare to say a Canon G11/12 with stock underwater case (which was my previous setup that 'sort of' worked)? Do the underwater settings actually add value or are they simply gimmick?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Micky
user 95336582
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
I have the Sealife Proflash and it is a good strobe. What advantage are you looking for which the DC1400 has over the Canon setup?
Nunaddict
NunAddict
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
I've been shooting using a Canon G7 with the stock underwater case and gotten middling results. Flash with the OEM Canon cases seem to be unusable though I've had some luck with creative flash finger blocking. I currently have a Canon G11 but no case as it seems an external strobe is a key factor. Ultimately, I was thinking of upgrading to the Sony RX-100 (http://www.uwphotogra...­) with a Recsea or Nautica case but there's definitely some sticker shock for a full setup.
Micky
user 95336582
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
A camera's built in flash is not very useful for anything except as a trigger for an external strobe. Just adding an external strobe to the G11 will improve your results.
Nunaddict
NunAddict
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Do you know what tray and strobe were used for add-on to a stock Canon case? Looking online at Backscatter and it seems there may be one that would work but their Sola light is a fill not a strobe.
Micky
user 95336582
San Jose, CA
Post #: 3
Depends on which strobe you want and how much you want to spend. The Sealife Pro strobe comes with a plastic tray that fits the Canon case and includes a nice soft case to carry the entire camera assembly. It's the best value strobe in my opinion. The Ultralight tr-dm tray and arms will work with any strobe head.