Looking to get out and stretch my legs and would like to invite anyone who needs to do the same. This is an excellent hike for beginners (5-6 miles, depending on who you ask) at a pace you're sure to enjoy - nice and easy; as I've only done one hike in the last few months. Anyhow, plenty of trees along the trail to keep you shaded until the last mile or so where the trail is somewhat exposed.
To get to the trailhead from the Foothill Freeway(210) in Arcadia, exit on Santa Anita Avenue and drive six miles north to its end at Chantry Flat. (Lat:[masked] Lon:[masked]). We will meet by the restrooms located on the lower parking lot. If you aren't familiar with Chantry Flat parking, I would suggest you arrive no later than 7:00am or face parking down the road from the trailhead. The closer to 7:30 you arrive, the further down the road you will park - really!
Remember to bring:
- minimum 2 liters of h2o
- snacks/lunch (we'll break at Hoegees Campground for a bit)
- hat, suntan lotion, insect repellant
- camera (us SGV Hikers like taking pictures :-P)
- poles, incase you need them (just past Hoegees the trail steepens for a bit but then levels out)
- the remainder of your ten essentials and anything else that makes you comfortable and safe on the trail
***Don't forget your Adventure Pass - you can get one at REI, Sports Chalet, Big-5 Sporting Goods.
Also, remember I am not responsible for you and you, alone, are responsible for your actions while on this hike.
By the way, this hike is group based which means I will be sweeping in order to keep the group together. If you feel the need to move on ahead of the group please let me know so we don't have to look for you.