What we're about
We are a group dedicated to the spirit of volunteerism in our beautiful San Luis Obispo County.
If you are a volunteer for an organization, we want to post your events here. If you do not have much time to donate in general, but you do have the desire, then help at these events! If there are fun things to do around the county, we will meet for those as well - don't hesitate to post a suggestion!
We have a shared passion... we can hike, experience a grunion run, go out for dinner, clean a beach, meet and shop for local vegetables at the Farmer's Market, go bird watching, and enjoy the natural ecological diversity of the Central Coast. As the organizer of this group, my dream is that you schedule hikes so other members can join you. Did you want a few people to join you at the Farmer's Market? Post it and ask!
All people with the desire to donate their time and energy to the environment and wildlife deserve to meet, hang out, and do what they are passionate about doing: helping the environment and all those living in it.
Here are some wonderful volunteer groups you may consider joining:
* pacificwildlifecare.org (http://www.pacificwildlifecare.org) – If you find an injured or orphaned animal, call (805) 543-WILD (543-9453). The mission of Pacific Wildlife Care (PWC) is "to rehabilitate and return to the wild, injured and orphaned wildlife, and to educate our community to value and respect wildlife and the environment we share with them."
* marinemammalcenter.org (http://www.marinemammalcenter.org) - If you find an injured or orphaned marine mammal or sea turtle, call (805) 771-8300 or (415) 289-SEAL.
* morrocoastaudubon.org (http://www.morrocoastaudubon.org) - If you are interested in birding and the environment, check out MCAS.
* elfin-forest.org (http://www.elfin-forest.org) - Join SWAP (Small Wilderness Area Protection) to help keep the Elfin Forest magical.
* lcslo.org (http://lcslo.org/) - The Land Conservancy of SLO does amazing work, check out their work at the Pismo Preserve (http://lcslo.org/project/pismopreserve/).
* cccmb.org (http://www.cccmb.org/) - The mission of Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers (CCCMB) is to expand the network of sustainable and enjoyable trails in SLO County and to maintain the trails currently in use. Since 1987, we have worked with California State Parks, the National Forest Service, San Luis Obispo City, and San Luis Obispo County in designing and building new trails and maintaining existing ones.
**There is information about other volunteer agencies in our message board and files. If you have anything you'd like to share, please go ahead and post the message or send over the file!
***How to post a suggested event -- click on the SUGGEST A NEW MEETUP link. You will need a date, time, and place for it to become official. Once 3 people say "yes" to attending, it will be announced to the group. If the event does not fit within the bounds of this group's purpose, it will be deleted.
***How to limit the number of automatic emails you get (http://help.meetup.com/customer/portal/articles/464969-edit-my-email-settings). <- click