Kentucky Bluegrass Photography Weekend – April 11-14
If you ever envisioned yourself visiting Kentucky in the springtime to take advantage of photographing horse farms, capturing live racing at Keenland racetrack and sleeping in a century old village, this is the weekend for you.
Join Greg Comstock as he hosts another Bluegrass Photography Tour (his 4th) at the height of Kentucky’s springtime activities. Look at a quick video https://gregcomstock.smugmug.com/Event-Photography/A-SPS-Kentucky-Bluegrass-Weekend-/i-bZdgSxX/A or a few images of previous Kentucky Bluegrass Photography Weekend trips. https://gregcomstock.smugmug.com/Event-Photography/A-SPS-Kentucky-Bluegrass-Weekend-/
The tour starts early Friday morning so it will require Thursday afternoon travel of 6-7 hours from Atlanta to Lexington KY via I-75. During this busy weekend, you’ll be visiting at a minimum two distilleries, Keenland Racetrack, including live races, and staying the night at Shaker Village with a return on Sunday to Atlanta.
Dates: Travel to Lexington KY on Thursday April 11, 2019 returning Sunday April 14, 2019
Requirements: 2019 Paid SPS Member
Cost: No cost for the weekend other than your own paid lodging and food expenses. (Information to Follow)
Hotel: Thursday and Friday Night in Lexington with 10 blocked rooms for SPS. Approximate price per Dbl. Room $200/night. Saturday Night at Shaker Village with 10 blocked rooms for SPS. Approximate price per Dbl. Room $160/night
Attendees: 6 Minimum – 12 Maximum. A waiting list will be available for cancelations.
We will be traveling together in 2-3 cars starting Friday morning while we are in Kentucky. A preliminary schedule is as follows:
• Friday Morning 9-9:30 leave for the Woodford Distillery for a distillery tour between 10 and 11:00. We'll stop to photograph the horse farms on our way.
• Noon time on Friday. We’ll plan to stop in Frankfort KY for lunch.
• In the afternoon, we’ll take a “Behind the Scenes” tour at Buffalo Trace Distillery. We will be there 2-3 hours before we leave to photograph a Castle on our way back to our hotel.
• We’ll plan a group dinner for those wishing to join and rest up as the next day will be even busier.
• We will begin Saturday early at Keenland Raceway. We’ll plan to be there by 7:00 AM to practice your Panning Skills as the track is used to work the horses until about 9:00AM.
• After you are done with your panning practice (1250-2500+ Shutter Speed), walk the Horse stalls in the back of the park for a up-close look at the horses and the behind the scenes activities as they prepare for the daily races.
• Have lunch in the clubhouse and take in 4-5 races with your well-honed panning skills. You will want to walk around the track North and South End to take images of the races for different perspectives.
• We’ll leave Keenland Race Track around 3:30-4:00PM and head down to Shaker Village (about 45 minutes travel time).
• When you leave for your next stop at Shaker Village, you may want to drive behind the Keenland Race Track via the back gate and head west to Rte 1969 then head east to the Manchester Farm via Van Meter Rd. There are a couple of nice shots along the way as you head back to New Circle Road South on your way to Shaker Village.
• Shaker Village is only about 25 minutes from New Circle Road in Lexington. You are traveling back in time on this leg of your trip as you will be staying the night there by Previous Reservation. Lots to shoot inside and out. Make sure you go outside at night. It has a nicely lighted main street (dirt road). You’ll also want to make dinner reservation in the main house when you make your hotel reservation. There is nothing around the area so make sure you do.
• After breakfast and a few more images, you're off to return back home.
More details to follow upon registration for the weekend.