We will meet once a month and discuss topics in DataViz. I will bring DataViz books and reference material I am currently reading, and projects I'm working on. I encourage you to bring books we can discuss, dataViz questions and your laptops.
- First 30mins we start with introductions, current dataviz projects we're working on, and challenges faced
- Then we break into micro groups to brainstorm discuss specific dataviz topics
- The core group tries their hand at a dataviz problem for the month (usually MakeoverMonday or VizForSocialGood projects)
- reference books are available for self-study
Some other good topics to discuss:
- Recent awards and publications from conferences like IEEEVIS, EUROVIS, IIB awards
- Concepts in data storytelling, visual perception and cognition, color theory, geoanalytics etc.
- Compare fast prototyping frameworks, visual analytics, reporting and dashboarding tools like Spotfire, Tableau
- Policy Viz and Data driven journalism (think WSJ Graphics)
- How visualisations can benefit an enterprise
- How data can be used in art projects and infographics
You should join if you are a:
- DataViz professional or data analyst or data scientist using visualisations
- UX Designer interested in data driven web development
- Software engineer, analyst or hobbyist intent on finding more about how to break into the dataviz area
- Product Manager or Director interested in discussing how data viz can help your team
- Artist working with public or personal data in art works
- Anyone intrigued by all this but not specifically categorized :)
If you're interested in Data Science and Machine Learning case studies, check our sister group:
*Red Rock is a local community coffee shop, please support with your purchases. Also it gets really quite busy so plan to arrive before time.