addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › brainstorming some outdoor activities

brainstorming some outdoor activities

Anna
user 5601466
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 23
one day picnic/trip can be good with big group as well. There are couple big parks here in Sacramento area. I have been to Gibson Ranch park in Elverta, and Elk Grove park in Elk Grove. There are picnic tables, trails for easy hike/walk, place to play tennis or volleyball, and playground for kids....
A former member
Post #: 1
Among all the detecting activities, gold metal detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both our mind and body, but also give us a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time when you feel bored, you can pick up a gold detector and have a try.
Chuck W.
DrChuckW
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
In response to your idea below, maybe some might benefit but every time I get in a church for some event (e.g., wedding, funeral, etc.), I just get angry that the lies and bigotry pours out of the mouths of those addressing the congregation. Count me out.

How about a field trip to church.

Many of us were traumatized growing up with religion where it was force fed to us until we were old enough to break free of the oppressive dogma we had to endure. I personally feel scarred to this day. Wouldn't it be nice to attend a church service with FAN members to support you through the experience to find some form of closure and catharsis with people who can validate you for not believing in god in that setting. We wouldn't even necessarily have to confront the church members and reveal ourselves as atheists. At the very least we could laugh about the experience afterwards among ourselves. After all isn't that the best sort of medicine.

Just a thought.

Chuck W.
DrChuckW
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
Are any of you golfers? A trip to cooler spots for a game of golf is always a consideration for me in the summer here.
Brooke
kestrien
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 37
Does a pub crawl count?
Melody S.
user 13896176
Davis, CA
Post #: 7
Environmental Traveling Companions has a campsite right on the South Fork of the American River outside Coloma. They are a non-profit that takes people of all abilities and disadvantaged youth rafting, sea kayaking, and cross-country skiing. If you go rafting with them you support their programs, but it doesn't cost you any more than if you went with a commercial company. They guide trips on the class 3 sections of the South Fork of the American. There is also hiking in the area if you wanted to raft one day and hike the other day of a weekend. Less than an hour from Sac!