addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 933
I met a woman on OkCupid a couple weeks ago and we've been chatting online, texting, talking on the phone and met once over the weekend. We have plans to meet again this weekend. We have a lot in common and I'm really enjoying getting to know her.

Well, I checked out some of her answers to the OkCupid questions and she *may* be a creationist. She believes humans were put on this earth by a higher power, that evolution and intelligent design could both be right, and she puts equal weight in faith and science. However, she also said that creationism and evolution should NOT be taught side-by-side, creationism should not be taught in school, and humans and modern primates share an evolutionary ancestor.

Would you (are you, have you been) in a relationship with a believer and how has that worked out for you? I haven't talked to her about this yet, but I plan to after I give it some more thought. It may turn out that she is agnostic and not an ardent believer and might be a moot point. Still, even if things don't work out with her, its bound to come up again. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 36
I have dated a believer, one for a very long time. She was a fundamentalist evangelical Christian, though, so the situation was different and it eventually lead to our breaking-up.
I hold a persons individual values much higher than what religion they claim to be. I would try to have a discussion with her about her beliefs so that it is all on the table. For instance, if I dated someone who identified as a Catholic, I would see if that includes her believing that the pope is infallible and if so, does that mean she believes condoms shouldn't be used to prevent the spreading of AIDs in Africa. If that were the case, I would take issue... but if she calls herself a catholic but doesn't buy into the BS, then I wouldn't care.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 163
Sounds like she might be confused about the whole thing, or just hasn't given it much thought. She might be middle-of-the-road or just repeating what she's heard from others.

It's definitely worth having a discussion about, but unless she gets all preachy or has serious differences of opinion than you do on issues that are important to you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey, bring her to a SacFAN event and see how she reacts. tongue
A former member
Post #: 934
Thanks for your replies. We're going out tonight and I plan to bring it. After looking at a few more of her responses, I'm thinking we'll be ok. I did have a minor freakout when I first saw the creation thing, and I'm glad I didn't email her about it right away. Its best to have this kind of discussion in person. It should be really interesting no matter which way it goes.

Thanks!
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 164
Let us know how it goes!
A former member
Post #: 935
It went really well. She does believe there is something out there beyond us, but doesn't believe in any specific god and feels very strongly about separation of church and state. We're going to continue seeing each other and I don't think religion will be a problem :)
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 112
I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us posted on your "adventures" OK?

Hugs. Anyse
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 165
smile