addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Free Thought Day October 12, Old Sac

Free Thought Day October 12, Old Sac

Nancy G.
user 7530726
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
SAVE THE DATE! -- October 12 is the annual Freethought Day Fair, at Waterfront Park, Front and L Streets, in Old Sac, Free admission. 12-5 pm. Come and check it out, and maybe help out and meet other Freethinkers.

Sac's 7th Annual Freethought Day is a cooperative endeavor of the Atheists & Other Freethinkers (AOF) and the local AHA chapter of the Humanists, HAGSA, as "a celebration of reason, freethought and church-state separation" with speakers, live music, literature and education expo, and children's activities. Last year, lucky ones had a chance to try out a Segway, brought by pres of S.F.'s Atheist group, who sells them. Who knows who will show up this year.

This year, we do know that our featured speaker is Matthew LaClair, ACLU's 2008 Youth Scholar. As a HS junior in N.J., Matthew confronted a history teacher who promoted creationism and other personal religious beliefs in the classroom. Despite administration opposition and community harassment, which included death threats, Matthew worked with the ACLU to make sure that First Amendment rights were respected and upheld at his school. Thanks in large part to Matthew's courage and tenacity, a Student Education Assembly on Religious Freedom was created at the school.

And, to emcee this year, we are lucky to have Lori Lipman Brown, the Director of and Lobbyist for the Secular Coalition for America. Lori was the featured speaker at the 2006 Freethought Day celebration. Come and meet her.

http://www.freethough...­
================
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 23
Thanks for the info Nancy! I posted a note on our calendar.
Laurie H.
user 4984317
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
I'll be there working a booth. Mynga Futrell and Paul Geisert (co-founders of The Brights) will also be there.
A former member
Post #: 71
Sounds like fun! If my son is not sleeping, I think we will try to make it!
Tom N.
user 7554789
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
I'll make this one
A former member
Post #: 73
I thought the speakers were great. I especially enjoyed the comedian! I look forward to going to this again. Since we live in Vacaville, it's hard to make it to weekday events so it was nice that this was on the weekend.