addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Valley Permaculture Guild Message Board › Is there anybody out there???

Is there anybody out there???

A former member
Dear Group,

I have attracted 75 members to this group which used to make me quite excited, but lately it's actually a little depressing. Of the 75 members, only about 18 of you have ever decided to participate in any events. Beyond that, only a handful even bother to RSVP "no".

I'm not angry about this but I'm curious about why this is and would really be happy for feedback. See, at first I thought people just weren't into helping with people's home garden projects after the small turnout for Griffins sheetmulch party and Ilsa's backyard veggie planting. I figured people might want something less dirty and more social so we put together the tomato tasting party at Roberts place. Again, only a handful of 75 could make it.

I don't want to start dropping members who haven't yet participated because even I was pretty inactive in maintaining and organizing things this summer, but now that I'm back I really hope to see you too. I'd eventually like to get a phone roster so that I can call you about future meetups and get better feedback. I think part of the problem here is that it's still so cyber, and if you are members of other meetup groups these messages start to seem spammy and then get ignored.

Another hypothesis I have is this. When I have forgotten to call my sisters on their birthday I feel subconciously guilty and avoid them even more, for months even. Maybe people have joined this group honestly intending to get involved but got really busy and now feel subconciously guilty about it and now avoid this group altogether. If this is you, don't worry about it. I will not say "oh, you're so-and-so. Nice to FINALLY meet you" with a sarcastic sneer. I'll just be grateful for the chance to make new friends who love permaculture.

Sincerely,

Heather Clapp
916-715-5456
Ming
user 8199907
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 2
I appreciate the dialogue that has occurred since you posted this thread on the bulletin board. I am also so glad I called you directly after receiving it, in that I heard from you a request for feedback and connectivity.

Peace,

Ming
A former member
Post #: 81
I am one of those memebers who wants to attend events, but have had way too much on my plate to get to anything. In my other meet ups most people only use the "no" rsvp to back out of something they have said "yes" to. I am hoping I will be able to attend more events in the near future, working hard at simplifying things.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Heather,

I just now saw the thread for this message and want to apologize. I was finally able to RSVP 'yes' to an event (seed saving party) and then had a terrible change of plans. I am VERY interested in meeting you all and attending future get togethers.

You're right about Meetup messages getting 'spammy' so I went in and cleaned out several Meetup groups that I am no longer interested in and one that seemed to have Meetups every single day. That should help solve the clutter problem and allow me to focus on groups that I'm really interested in.

Thanks for putting this group together and reaching out to us to get feedback. Looking forward to meeting you, Heather!

Thanks,
Tracey
Robert C.
RobertCharland
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 15
Hi Heather
I tried to give you a call but because of the outgoing message I wasn't sure if it was the right number, so no message. So your back? Good!
We're living in tough times, for many people transitional times. For others it's just too easy to join an online group, and another thing to actually go somewhere to meet. For me, sorry to say I have not seen anything compelling enough to burn the gas. Also I am trying to live a permaculture way of life. I have been incredibly busy building up my micro farm with much success. I am trying to build upon the methods of Gaia's Garden to make them applicable to a small scale working farm. Also, I have been consumed with the care of my mom. Enough about that in a public forum.
916-923-2620

Thanks for trying to light a fire under some damp wood.
Robert Charland
Jeff T.
user 24335712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
Yes, connectivity is tough to form, even with like minded people. I myself have been very interested in building a network of like minded people in my local area of Lincoln, but my success has been limited and at times even counter productive to my goal.

My reasons for lack of attendance are probably very similar to the rest of the group;

1. I live in Lincoln and dislike the time it takes to go into the city for every meetup.
2. I sometimes overlook the emails for meetups and don't focus in on them until after the event.
3. The event doesn't catch my interests.
4. I don't see much interest from others.
5. Life and personal commitments get in the way.

I was really surprised that the group organizers did not set up something with Paul Wheaton (Permaculture Guru) when he came through town. This seemed a golden opportunity to meet and talk with a leader in permaculture practice and self sustainability. Granted I could have tried to do setup something myself, but didnt really feel equipped or connected to enough contacts who might attend. When I checked the group activity it seemed to be down for the count and not much going on.

I am interested in further meetups with this group and I am willing to help in anyway I can to build up a local permaculture community.
Kent T.
user 14629582
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 10
Heather,

I'm another one of those have wanted to participate but have yet to do so.

One of my problems is that meetup.com sends so much spam that I ignore/block their emails. Then I have a hard time checking in often enough to coordinating my schedule with the groups.

I'd love to do a small bicycle tour of people's places to see how they're permin' it. Probably people would be interested in checking out my graywater system. It would be a great way to get to know the other members a little better. Has the group done something like this before?

Kent
913 579 3308
Kristin
user 10642278
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 39
Hi Heather, and all others :)
I am one who went to events back before you moved then dropped off for a bit due to life's craziness but I would love to participate in the group again. I don't have a yard of my own yet but would like to learn all I can so I can apply the knowledge to my own place someday and help support others in their permaculture endeavors.

~Kristin
Amanda Rae C.
RCMomsClub
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 24
Honestly, I think it's partly due to the easiness with which we can join groups online but then we don't have to follow through. It's like taking a pill to feel connected instead of actually connecting. Having said that, I'm more than happy to open my home to a meeting. I'm in Rancho Cordova. So let me know! I'm new to permaculture and frankly, don't know where to start ;)