addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Antonio Stitch N Bitch Message Board › Getting started

Getting started

Echo L.
user 58771282
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 2
I am new to the group and to knitting, I was wondering for my first meetup do I need to be prepared with knitting equipment? The thing is since I have never knitted before I wouldn't exactly know what to look for when purchasing supplies :/ . All I own is a starter kit I bought a few years back. Thanks.
Carol
Carol3407912
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 116
Hi Echo,

Welcome to the group. For your first meetup go ahead and bring your starter kit and one skein of worsted weight yarn. I'd recommend Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in whatever color you prefer. Also if your starter kit has small needles (under a size 7 US) you might want to purchase a pair of size 7 or 8 US sizing. Look on the end of the needles for the size. Does your starter kit include a pattern for a simple scarf or square? Those are the easiest things to begin with. Don't worry about never having knitted before, we all started off that way and we'll all help you as much as we can to learn our favorite hobby.

Carol Hetzler
CJ B.
SportUtilityGirl
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1
Agree! I started out with a single pair of 10.5 crystalites and some yarn that was on clearance for 1.99 at a Ben Franklin store in Colorado while visiting my dad for Christmas in 2007.

It took me less than a day to learn cast on, knit, purl, yarn-over, and bind off.

But once you start, be sure to do just at least a little bit every day until you're sure you won't forget.

I taught a friend of mine how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off during a 1 hour car ride in the dark. She was a prodigy learner. I couldn't have knitted it better myself. But she put it away after finishing her first project (scarf) and promptly forgot how to do any of it.

It's quick to learn in the beginning, but also quick to forget - until your brain turns that learning from a short term memory into a long term memory. Not unlike learning to tie your shoelaces.
Echo L.
user 58771282
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 3
Thank you for the quick responses. hope I can make this meetup and look forward to meeting you all. Have a great day.
Carol
Carol3407912
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 117
Echo, you are most welcome. Hope you can make the meetup as well. Remember this week it starts at 1PM instead of 12 noon. Looking forward to meeting you.