Marco Russo is an internationally known Microsoft MVP, Consultant & Mentor. He'll introduce the basic principles of data modeling for analytics. You'll learn what makes a model “right” or “wrong” and why spending the time to design the right data model will pay off when you begin coding.
* How to properly structure a data model to simplify DAX code and improve performance
* Practical examples of good and bad design
* Common terms used in data modeling
* How to apply these concepts to your data models
Marco Russo is a business intelligence consultant and mentor. He has written several books about Power BI, Analysis Service, and Power Pivot. You can see his videos and articles at https://sqlbi.com. Marco is a Microsoft MVP and an SSAS Maestro, the highest level of certification in Microsoft Analysis Services.
Marco is teaching a three-day Mastering DAX Workshop from October 1-3 in San Francisco. Learn more at https://www.sqlbi.com/p/mastering-dax-workshop-san-francisco-october-2018/. Contact Mark Ginnebaugh for a discount code to save $450 for this workshop.
Vinay H. Srihari, Field CTO, Snowflake Computing will show you how to deliver just in time data with the Snowflake Data Warehouse.
You'll learn how Snowflake's cloud-built architecture harnesses the power of the Azure cloud with instant elasticity, zero management, secure data sharing, and per-second pricing from an enterprise-class, modern SQL data warehouse.
He'll give some examples of how real customers have transformed their global data pipelines to share live data in real time.
Vinay will give a demo of data ingestion into Snowflake using an Azure Data Factory pipeline, complex SQL query execution with dynamically scalable compute, and clickstream analytics with user-defined extensions.
* How Snowflake delivers required capabilities for modern BI users
* Why Snowflake's unique managed SaaS architecture is a key differentiator
* How small businesses and enterprises alike have transformed data pipelines with Snowflake
* How to share data securely and without movement within or across organizations
Vinay H. Srihari is Field CTO at Snowflake Computing. He holds multiple software patents in distributed systems, recovery protocols, high availability, fault detection and replication.
This month you'll be able to create a Power BI report from the ground up. This is a hands-on lab, so bring your laptop.
• The basics for creating a report using Power BI
• Key introductory concepts so you can create reports with your own data
• Fundamental user experience design principles required for great looking reports
If you plan to attend, please prepare by following these steps:
• Make sure you have admin rights on your laptop or work with your IT department to get them.
• Download and install Power BI Desktop: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/
• Download this zip file: "American Bank" https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c1_MQtUfOz9oo9UzXRBpyRiMZNaqKuVz/view
Bill Singh will walk through the Power BI report development process, quickly covering many important concepts, including:
• Report Formatting & Filters
• Query Editor
• An intro to DAX
• How to build a Date table from the ground up, and to use it
• Dashboards (time permitting)
If you haven’t yet had a chance to build any reports using Power BI, this session will help you jump right in and get started.
Bill Singh is a Principal Business System Analyst with GLOBALFOUNDRIES. He is a multi-certified technology professional, including MCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL V3, and AWS Certified Architect. He has 17 years of experience in IT, mostly with Data and Big Data.
Have you taken the dive into Power BI or are you thinking about getting started? Travel isn’t an option? Now you can expand your Power BI knowledge and skillset with Power UP!
The cost for the two-day virtual event is $549. Learn more and register here: https://www.pbiusergroup.com/powerupvirtualtour/home
There will be two days of sessions, offering four 2-hour deep dive sessions each day. Each session will be followed by a 30-minute break. The sessions will be from 9:00 am-6:00 pm EST each day (6:00 am-3:00 pm PST.)
* Power Bi Essentials – Treb Gatte
* What is Power BI, Data Sourcing, Possibilities
* Data Modeling – Brett Powel
* Prep and model your data
* Visualizations – Angel Abundez
* Reports and Dashboards
* Securely Share Your Data – Bill Hughes
* Basic Governance & Sharing
* DAX 101 – Mike Carlo
* Advanced Modeling
* Advanced Visualizations – Greg Baldini
* Maps, Calculated Columns, and Mobile Visuals
* A Gentle Introduction to R – Leila Etaati
* Using Supply Chain Data Analytics to Drive Performance – Vivek Patel
Every business has the similar problems involving time and location data - How can I reach new customers? How are my products being used? How can I make using them more efficient? In this session, you'll learn how to tell stories with location data using the Mapbox Custom Visual for Power BI.
Ryan Baumann will explain the basics of location data visualization, like how to use color, size, and map styles to tell your story; how to control your story based on the zoom level in the map; how to create choropleth visualizations with custom boundaries; and some tips & tricks to really take advantage of Power BI & Mapbox. In the final demo, we'll show an example of using maps to explore cycling trips in San Francisco.
You will learn...
* How to use the Mapbox Custom Visual for Power BI
* How to build a custom map style in Mapbox Studio and use it in Power BI
* How to create a choropleth map from custom boundaries in Power BI
* Best practices for wielding location data visualization effectively in Power BI
Speaker Ryan Baumann is head of BI & Data Visualization Products at Mapbox. He leads the Sales Engineering team and works on BI & Data Visualization products. Ryan has written several open-source libraries including the Python data visualization library mapboxgl-jupyter, and the Mapbox Visual for Power BI.
The 2018 Azure DataFest is an all-day event on Tuesday, May 29th in San Francisco.
Registration here until May 24th: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/san-francisco-azure-datafest-advanced-analytics-big-data-conference-tickets-44194650389
You'll learn about Azure Data Warehouse, Power BI, Cosmos DB, Azure Analysis Services, HDInsight, Machine Learning, Data Lake Analytics, and more. Speakers will be from Microsoft and the larger technical community.
The registration fee is $22.00 up to the May 22nd registration deadline. There are only have 100 seats available for this great one-day event, packed with advanced analytics and big data sessions.
The day begins with a general session, followed by two technical sessions, a lunch and learn, then three tracks with 3 sessions per track.
Learn more and register here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/san-francisco-azure-datafest-advanced-analytics-big-data-conference-tickets-44194650389
This presentation is designed for BI Users, Consultants, and Data Scientists who want to know how to develop machine learning solutions inside Power BI.
Even if you don’t know what Power BI is, or if you're familiar with R but want to learn how to use Power BI, this session will be valuable.
* The basics of R Studio and the integration into Power BI
* Basics of machine learning
* How to use R visuals and apply machine learning with specific data
* Decision making using R visuals and Machine Learning inside Power BI
* What is possible with existing and free tools
Speaker Maik Henkel is a finance professional with a passion for technology where business meets finance. Dealing with massive data while working in Finance and Operations for GlobalFoundries, a leading full-service semiconductor design, development, fabrication, and innovation company with locations across the globe. Maik was inspired while visiting a data visualization summit in San Francisco in 2016. He also attended Stanford courses in data science. Currently, Maik works as the finance lead driving Big Data and Data Visualization in Corporate Finance.
Power BI is a big hit, with rapidly expanding analytic capabilities, much lower pricing than competing products, and many licensing and deployment options. Your organization may be evaluating Power BI, or perhaps it has already made significant investments in Power BI development or deployment. But as the famous line from "Field of Dreams" goes, "If you build it, will they come?"
Adoption cannot be left to chance – it has to be part of your plan. But how?
Microsoft created the Power BI Adoption Framework to help smooth the path to adoption and use. Speakers Mark Ginnebaugh and Alisha Harold of DesignMind have used and enhanced this framework, based on things DesignMind has learned from many Power BI projects and deployments.
In this meeting, you will learn the four stages of Power BI Adoption:
• Awareness - of Power BI and its features
• Understanding - the benefits Power BI will provide
• Enablement - Employees know how to use the product and its features
• Adoption - Employees use the product regularly
Mark Ginnebaugh is CEO of DesignMind, one of California’s leading database consulting firms. He leads or co-leads four data-related user groups in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, and is a Microsoft Regional Director and Data Platform MVP. Alisha Harold is Principal BI Consultant at DesignMind.
Aussie Peter Myers returns to San Francisco to give us the latest updates on Power BI. Don't miss this opportunity to hear from this renowned international BI expert. The meeting is free and includes pizza.
Power BI Desktop is a versatile tool that can be used for modeling and reporting. When a model already exists, the tool can be used to simply develop a report which sources the model. However, when a model is required, it provides two development choices: Import and Direct Query.
You'll learn about the three Power BI Desktop mode and see demos. Peter will provide guidance to help you choose the appropriate mode for your project.
• How to develop a Live Connection report
• How to develop an import model
• How to develop a Direct Query model
• How to determine the appropriate Power BI Desktop mode for your project
Peter Myers is a consultant, trainer and presenter from Melbourne, Australia. He has worked with Microsoft database and development products since 1997. Today he specializes in all Microsoft Business Intelligence products and also authors training course content for Microsoft products and services. He has extensive experience backed by current MCSE certifications. Peter has been a Data Platform MVP since 2007.
We all love Power BI and its abilities to show data insights through its interface. But Power BI has its limits when it comes to massive data ingestion and near real- time dashboards. Armando Lacerda will evaluate some out of the box solutions to render metrics and KPIs from massive loads that outpace Power BI limits.
• Power BI limits for accommodating data refresh and streaming datasets
• Strategies for continuous and discrete data capturing for Power BI
• Options for Azure services for near real-time Power BI dashboards
• SQL Server features to source discrete datasets for Power BI
Speaker Armando Lacerda has been in the IT field for over 30 years. A developer at heart, he specializes in database technologies with a focus on SQL Server and Azure technologies and services.