It has already rained in downtown San Francisco, all of the live cams show serious fog and there is no rationale expectation that Lands End will be a welcoming hiking venue tonight, so I am going to cancel and hope to reschedule another day.
Most City Steppers feel quite familiar with Lands End. After all, it was the site of the first hike that this group ever did. But how many of you know what it is like under a full moon?
The time is right to find out...it is summer solstice weekend which should make for a great sunset and nature also scheduled a June 23rd full moon to help to guide us back.
So we'll meet in front of the Legion of Honor Museum and hike 1.8 miles to some (yet undetermined) sunset vantage point near the Sutro Baths (or maybe even Sutro Heights). After the sunset we'll get out the flashlights and try to find our way back (so 3.6 miles total).
For those of you who have never hiked Lands End it is very flat except for one significant staircase (actually a set of railroad ties) in the middle.
Couple of things about this hike:
* Everybody needs to bring a flashlight. And if you don't own a flashlight then get to Target and buy one right now -- this is earthquake country!
* I think that dogs are okay but if you think that your dog might want to interact with an occasional raccoon or coyote then you would definitely need to err on the side of using a leash.
* The Lands End Trail is very safe but the cliffs just a few yards away aren't. So we'll need to pay attention and stick together, especially on the way back. If you don't feel comfortable with night hiking then you should definitely sit this one out.
* I don't think that there are any bathroom options until we get to the sunset, when those in need can hurry down to the Cliff House for their facilities.
* Extreme fog will cause a rescheduling; we'll stay in touch and everyone will need to check back here before heading out on the day of the hike if it looks foggy out there.
* June 23 is the second day of summer in San Francisco so bring your cold weather survival clothes.
* Public transport options aren't great...the 18 bus stops at the museum but it only runs every 20 minutes.
Should be a unique opportunity! Don't forget your camera/smart phone, water, flashlight and weatherproofing. Hope to see you there!
Safety & Liability--
You are responsible for your own safety. When you RSVP yes for any SF City Steps walk, you are confirming that you have read and agree to our Safety Tips and Waiver of Liability.
We frown on no-shows and cancelling less that 12 hours in advance is considered the same as a no-show. Read our attendance policy.
Dog Friendly Walk--
Dogs on leash can join us for the walk. Please read and follow our Doggie Guest Rules.