Join us for a fun walk/hike & exploration through Tilden Park in Berkeley hiking along the Strawberry Canyon Loop & Panoramic Hill. This is a fun walking trail just off the Claremont Hotel & near the Rockridge Bart Station. This is a favorite weekend hiking spot. It has some amazing views of San Francisco, Oakland and the Bay seen from eucalyptus, pine and oak forests. Its steep valleys and dense stands of timber offer a rare wilderness experience so close to the city. Its high ridges and peaks give wide views over the San Francisco Bay and inland across preserved lands. Have a great time socializing while meeting new friends & enjoy lots of fun & laughter. Members in the group are always nice & friendly. We always have a lot of fun whenever we all get together with a couple of other meetup groups also invited. So join in on the fun! We look forward to seeing you there!
• No special shoes are required, but good supportive athletic shoes are advised. Even though the path is mostly on fire trails, there are some sections with loose gravel. Temperatures can change quickly & it can be cold, so layers of clothing is highly recommended. This is a family friendly area & a moderate hike that is steep in a few places. It is a section of the East Bay Regional Park District & well maintained.
We will meet at Bar Norcini, a charming little cafe inside the lobby of Villa Florence for coffee & a meet & greet. At 1:45 pm, we head to the bart station to catch the train to Berkeley (20 min) near the start of the trail loop. We will be walking to the trail head then going up Panoramic Hill along Panoramic Ridge via the upper Strawberry Canyon fire trail to Chaparral Peak, down the fire trail to the lower Strawberry Canyon trail. Around the perimeter of Strawberry Canyon, back to the upper fire trail, then back down Panoramic Hill on the north side of the canyon. This trail is especially nice at sunset or when there is thick fog down near the bay. It's quite a distance & a few hills, so you will get a pretty good workout. At around 6:00 pm, we will head to downtown Berkeley for some tasty Asian Food.
• NOTE: Before meeting up at Bar Norcini at 1:00 pm, be sure to grab your lunches, drinks & snacks or whatever you may need for our exploration at Tilden Park. Conveniently, there are plenty of stores, delis & Walgreens in the area.
• LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: Moderate with some rest stops for photos.
AFTER URBAN HIKE: Dinner, dessert, drinks, karaoke &/or whatever the night brings!
• ORGANIZER FEE: An advanced fee of $2 is required via Paypal to join this event. (Or please message me if you would like to pay in person.) Sorry no refunds -- Please send payment as GIFT under the "personal" tab to:
REFUNDS: A refund is offered if the Meetup is cancelled or is rescheduled. Credit is given if the member changes their RSVP before the start of the event. Thank you!
• BART FARE: $3.55 Per Adult Each Way (Pay at the ticket vending machines.)
PARKING INFO: We usually get some late-comers because of parking issues. Parking is difficult in this busy area, especially on weekends. I would highly recommend public transportation. But, if you need to drive in, here is a link for parking garages in the area:
• RSVPs -- Out of courtesy, if for some reason you cannot make the event & have RSVPd "YES", please change your RSVP to "No" -- instead of doing a "No Show." We appreciate the notice even if it may be last minute. Thank you for your cooperation!
• NO-SHOW & CANCELLATION POLICY -- Please be courteous & considerate to all members involved in this event by cancelling at least by 12noon on the day of the event. Members with habitual NO-SHOWS & LATE CANCELLATIONS (3 or more) may not be welcomed back to these events.
• IMPORTANT!! PLEASE READ -- Liability Waiver:
Every member is responsible for his/her own safety on all events. Your RSVP to attend confirms that you have read and agree to our Liability Waiver below.
Participating in this event is entirely voluntary and you are responsible for your own safety. When you RSVP "yes" for this event, you are confirming that you understand and accept the risks, dangers and hazards of any outdoor activity and you are releasing and discharging any organizers & event hosts of the meetup group against any liability that arises from your participation in our group or its activities. Our guides are volunteers with no special training or qualifications. They are friends/members showing you around a place that they enjoy. They are not responsible for your safety or actions or anyone else’s.
You can find a link to Meetup.com’s TERMS OF SERVICE located on the bottom of every page on the Meetup site (click on Privacy & Terms--now 2 separate links). When you first created a Meetup Account, you were asked to agree to these terms. They cover what's considered appropriate use and behavior on the platform for both Organizers and Members. This includes a waiver of liability that extends to individual group organizers and the right of group organizers to govern their groups and remove members at any time. If you feel you've seen something inappropriate on the Meetup site, please forward the evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.