addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 283
Dear Big Dawgs
We have already posted a lot of info on lost and found pets. But it certainly doesn't hurt to re-post. According to one of the microchip companies, one in 3 pets goes missing and only 10% of them are recovered. Other sites list the recovery rate as high as 20% but that is still such a small percentage of the many thousands who get lost.

Of course, we need to focus on prevention but, sometimes, despite our best efforts, our fur babies get away from us. What you do can make a difference in keeping your pet from becoming a statistic.

There are many factors that affect where your dog might be, how hard it might be to find him, whether or not someone picked him up. Factors such as whether or not your dog has tags, why your dog ran (scared, wanderlust, etc..), breed, size, temperament, etc..

This post will be very general and will apply to any lost dog.
I plan to write several more posts on the subject of lost and found - including a true story or two. If you want more details, this website has tons of great info: http://www.missingpet...­. I'll be extracting info from it in later posts

If your dog is lost
1. Don't Panic; Don't be complacent

2. Look for your dog

3. Ask for help

4. Fliers, Fliers, and more fliers

5. Post on the Internet, in the newspaper

6. Look for your dog

7. Fliers, Fliers and more fliers

8. Never ever give up

9. Be aware of scam artists

10. Go to ACS, other Animal Shelters

11. Put a lost pet alert on your microchip

1. Don't Panic; Don't be complacent
If you start running down the street, crying, screaming franticly, for your dog, you might just scare her off. Stay calm. Speak in happy tones when calling for your baby. You might even try a favorite phrase. "Wanna go for a ride?" "Wanna treat?" If your dog has a furry sibling, bring him along (on-leash of course).
Don't panic but don't be complacent either. The quicker you are in searching for your dog, the less chance your dog has of getting run over, picked up by a stranger who won't try to find the owner, or worse.

2. Look for your dog
You might think it's silly for me to include this, but a lot of people will say, "He'll come back when he's hungry;" or "She just went to say hi to the neighbor dog." Some people come home to find their dog missing and automatically assume he was stolen and never try to look for their baby. You must look for your dog. You can certainly cover more ground in a vehicle, but you might miss your dog. Walk the streets, talk to neighbors.

3. Ask for help
Ideally, you'd start with at least 3 helpers. While you walk the streets calling for your dog, maybe another friend could drive around; while another friend posts on craigslist, pet finder, sapets.com, San Antonio Express, etc..; while another friend posts fliers all over the neighborhood. If friends aren't close by, go ahead and start walking the streets looking for your dog. While you are out walking, send a cell phone pic to a friend and ask him/her to post on craigslist - as a start.

4. Fliers, Flyers, and more fliers
The Internet is great for reaching a large audience, but fliers are extremely important. Some people are kind enough that they can't say no to a stray dog, but they aren't kind enough to expend any effort to find the parents (I've met many of them). They are not going to log onto to craigslist or read the paper...But if you put up enough fliers and make them noticeable, they might see them and get your dog back to you. Lengthy but excellent info on making an effective flyer here: http://www.missingpet...­

5. Post on the Internet, newspaper
Post anywhere you can. A lot of people look at craigslist. Other local sites are great - 105.3 lost pets, sapets.com.. National sites are fine as well. Lostandpound, etc.. More info in a previous post: http://www.meetup.com...­

6. Look for your dog
Cannot emphasis enough how important it is to keep looking. Don't assume that the dog has passed away; don't assume he was stolen. Keep looking.

7. Fliers, Fliers and more fliers
Can't emphasize enough how important these are

8. Never ever give up
Some people have found their pets weeks, months, even years later.
Later I will post a story on a dog who we recovered after 6 weeks of searching. Will also write some posts on prevention

9. Be aware of scam artists. Never ever give anyone money --unless you are standing face to face with someone who has your dog right in front of you. More on scam artists later

10. Go to ACS, other Animal Shelters
You must physically go to ACS. Employees will not be able to help you over the phone. In San Antonio, legally, your dog can be put to sleep after a 72 hour old. Whether or not he is put to sleep can depend on several factors, but be sure to visit ACS and other local shelters and look around. Be sure to bring losts of proof of ownership when you are out searching the shelters. It would be heartbreaking to see your baby but not have enough proof to take him/her home that very moment. Bring pictures, copies of flyers you've posted, medical records, microchip number (get your pet chipped), registration paperwork (get your pet registered)

11. Put a lost pet alert on your microchip
This might help if someone picks up your baby and tries to claim her as his/her own pet. Some microchip companies will send out alerts to good Samaritans who have signed up to get alerts about lost pets in their area. If your dog isn't chipped, get him chipped immediately. More prevention tips later.

More details/info on lost pets here

http://www.petfinder....­

A former member
Post #: 162
Thank you, Latrenda - this is excellent information.
A former member
Post #: 289
Thank you, Latrenda - this is excellent information.
Thanks Jeff!
Today's Lost and Found Topic is ID

A shelter employee once said me: "San Antonio has the cleanest strays." When I said, "Whatever do you mean?" Her response was that whenever someone reports their dog missing, when asked about collar or tags the response is usually, "Well I was just giving him a bath..."

After a bath, my dawgs like to run around like maniacs, drying themselves off on bed spreads, running outside to dry on the the grass, etc.. and I encourage the craziness because I want bath time to be fun. Since they are allowed outside immediately after baths (when it's warm of course), I put their collars and tags on while they are soaking wet. The collars are canvas; it doesn't hurt anything.

Some people want their dogs to be comfortable so they take their collars off when they are inside the house. But dogs slip out of front doors all the time. Especially homes with children who don't know or understand the dangers of letting Queeny run out the door.

One person told me the sound of all the jiggling tags is annoying. That sound would probably be welcome music to the ears of someone who has lost a pet. Besides, you can buy those little rubber thingies to go around the tags to cut down on the noise.

Tags are super important for several reasons.
1). If someone finds your dog, she/he can call you right away with info on the tags (keep your tags current!).
2). Good Samaritans are more likely to pick up dogs wearing tags. Folks who have been in San Antonio long enough know the big stray problem we have, and that no that no kill shelters are always full. They know that if they pick up a stray, they might be stuck with the dog for months trying to find place for the fur baby. But if a dog has tags, they are hopeful that they can reunite the dog with his/her parents quickly.
3). Proof of ownership might save your dog from getting killed at a municipal facility.

So, one way to prevent your dog from becoming a lost statistic is to make sure your baby is never "naked." Rex should always wear a collar with his Rabies tag (the law), his microchp number and most importantly, an ID tag with your phone number. Your dog should certainly be microchipped especially since tags can come off. But ID tags can get your baby home a lot quicker.

I picked up a blind dog once at 9:30 PM. She was also either death or hard of hearing. She was wearing rabies tags that had a phone number to her vet but most vets aren't open at 9:30 PM. I kept the dog overnight, called the vet the next morning and the dog was reunited with her parents. But if the dog was also wearing a tag with her parents phone number, they could have been reunited that night. I guess I could have gotten in my car and driven to the closest emergency pet center that was open to see if she had a chip. But I was tired and sleepy, didn't know if I could get this strange dog into my car. Didn't know if I'd drive all that way only to find that she didn't have a chip. Some people don't even know about getting a dog scanned. What if this had been a Friday night. I could have had the dog all weekend.
More on collars later
More on lost and found later
La Trenda
210-649-0391

P.S. ID tags, microchips are not substitute for a secure fence, for keeping your dogs on leash when outside of your secure yard. I've actually seen people who have lost pets and had them returned say - "next time, my dog will have his ID on." Instead of saying, "I'm going to fix that missing board in my fence"; or "next time, my dog stays inside when I'm not home". There are only so many good Samaritans to go around. Your dog could meet a speeding car or a crook before she meets a good Samaritan.

"T" & I.
Indee
Helotes, TX
Post #: 929
LaTrenda, Some thing you and I believe in... the Power of the Flier!!!

How to Create a Lost Pet Flier With Google Docs
A former member
Post #: 166
More great info - thanks, Latrenda and Kevin.

I really hope no one ever needs this, but it's good to bookmark.

jeff
A former member
Post #: 298
Thanks Jeff and Kevin
Kevin. I use Google Docs all the time, but have never used the templates. They have a lot of great stuff! Who need MS Word ?!

More Lost and Found ... ID Part II

My last post stated that you should never let your dog go around "naked" make sure he/she is always decked in the proper bling - ID tags.

Something just as important is making sure your dog never looses her bling. One way to do that is to never walk your dog using the same collar that holds the tags. Am I talking about your dog wearing two collars when he goes out? Yes. It may seem extreme but the collar holding the tags should not be the collar attached to the leash. Actually buckle collars can be easily slipped out of. One second you are walking your dog and the next second, you are holding a limp leash. It happens quite often.

Pet parents should consider using a martingale collar. Choke collars, and slip leashes tighten as a dog pulls making them almost impossible to slip out of when walking. The problem with choke collars though is that they continue tightening. A martingale with tighten but it will stop tightening at a certain point. If fitted properly, the collar will be loose when the dog is walking nicely; it will tighten when a dog pulls or jerks so the dog can't get out of the collar; but it won't tighten so much that it will continue choking your dog.

Because the collars will tighten will pulled, they should not be for every day wear. Leave the regular buckle collar on at all times to sport the ID bling. And put the martingale on when it's time for a walk.

Caution. If you prefer choke chains or prong collars, be sure to get some help from an experienced trainer (i.e. Jimmy). There is a specific way these collars must be worn so that they loosen up when the dog isn't pulling. Do your research. Many trainers report trachea damage from choke collar usage.

See the following document on dog walking devices: http://docs.google.co...­
Everything in blue is my un-expert opinion. Everything in black is what I have read or have been told by trainer(s)

Just read a very sad story that emphasizes the importance of not walking your dog on the same collar that holds your dog's ID. A lady was on the way to the vet with her dog on a regular buckle collar. A strange noise spooked the dog, the dog slipped the collar which had his ID. The dog ran out on 281. Luckily the dog survived running onto the freeway, but unfortunately, someone picked up the dog and the family hasn't heard from them.
If the people who picked up the dog saw tags, they might have assumed the dog had a home, and called the number on the tag. No tags, no number to call. The dog is chipped, but the parents haven't heard from the folks who have the dog. Maybe the folks don't know about checking for a microchip or maybe the folks assumed this was just another stray dumped on the side of the road and haven't tried to find the original parents. See the whole story here: http://voices.mysanan...­
Very sad.

Note: A properly fitted martingale or slip leash is a must for shy, skittish dogs. More on shy dogs later

Also hoping to make a video about how to properly fit a martingale collar.

Martingales come in all sorts of styles. If you haven't heard the term, you might have heard them referred to as no-slip collars or greyhound collars. They were originally made for greyhounds because their necks are bigger than their heads - a regular buckle collar just won't do for them.

Good short video on martingales

See some pics of martingales here
http://www.faithfulpe...­
http://www.bigdogbout...­
http://dogedesigns.co...­

Info on how to fit a martingale here:
http://www.google.com...­
and here
http://www.2houndsdes...­

La Trenda
210-649-0391
A former member
Post #: 300
This Lost and Found Post is about Rita
The sweet little shepherd mix who alluded us for 6 weeks.
Don't worry, it has a happy ending. Also included are lessons learned.
Please click the link below to see her story
Rita's Story

Rita is on the right. The other dog is George - one of her siblings
For those of you who are familiar with my Lupe, I think Rita and Lupe look a little bit alike. Rita is much bigger. No proof that they are related, but you never know :)
A former member
Post #: 329
Lost and Found
Tattoos

Tattoos are permanent form of identification - much like microchips.
Here is an experience that I just had with a tattoo:

A rescuer found a puppy with a number tatooed on her belly.

I called 1-800-828-8667 which is supposed to be a national registry. The person on the phone sounded like she had just awakened.

She wanted to know when the dog was found, where the dog was found, what breed, sex, what color, my name. When she asked for a phone number I asked is there someway that I can just give her a a tatoo number and she could look it up. She said she wants to know who she is talking to before she looks up the number.

I called another registry number - 1-800-828-8007. Sounded like the same lady.

I called National Animal ID center
PH # 1-800-647-6761
They said they have a box with some numbers in it, but they stopped doing it about 10 years ago. They wouldn't have info on a puppy

I called National Dog Registry (NDR) New York
PH # 1-800-637-3647
Got voicemail which suggested their website at http://nationaldogr...­ egistry.com/
The website says to call (800 NDR-DOGS). which is the number where I just got voicemail.
I sent the number to their email:
info@nationaldogregistry.com; after 24 hours, I've yet to receive a return phone call

I've never went through this much trouble to trace a microchip.

Moral of the story is: Tatoos are okay; microchips and collar with ID - mandatory.

La Trenda
210-649-0391
rescue.connections@yahoo.com

A former member
Post #: 334
Lost and Found - More places to look for your lost friend
I already mentioned going to Animal Care Services and the other shelters.
Most folks now about the "Brick and mortar" shelters like ACS, Animal Defense league and Humane Society.
But there are also dozens of foster networks in and around San Antonio. Animals live in homes until they are adopted. It will be impossible to visit everybody's house to see if your dog is there.
But there are a few ways to reach most of these people:
Most rescues - large and small lists their animals for adoption on petfinder.
Got to Petfinder. On the left hand side, type in the description of your pet, your zip code and do a search to see what comes up.

A lot of rescues belong to AAPAW - Alamo Area Partners for Animal welfare.
Send a message through their website and it will get to several rescue groups
Click here: AAPAW

Nothing is a substitute for going to ACS and looking for your dog, but you can also look at some of the intakes at sapets

If you have pure bred dog or a very small dog. Start looking for dogs for sale that match your dog's description - flea markets, oodles, penny pincher, craigslist, newspaper classifieds

You might even consider advertising that you are interested in purchase your dog's breed and see what type of responses you get. Sad that you can't just say your dog is lost but sometimes you might get a response from the person who stole your dog if you announce you are looking to buy.
A former member
Post #: 7
I'm on the other side of the Lost dog issue. We found a dog. He is a purebred neutered male Whippet. I'm fostering him short term with the hope his owner will show up. If not, he'll go to another foster as I'm going on vacation.

He has no microchip. He has a brand new collar, but no tags. He was found running down the street on Thursday in the Stone Oak area.

It's very frustrating to have a dog you KNOW has a home, but can't find the owners. We have an ad on Craigslist, a flier at the Humane Society, it was posted to the APPAW yahoo group, we've looked for flyer's in the area, listed him with findtoto, posted to the Whippet list, the lure coursing group, the local dog training club. There's only so much the Found home can do. Oh, and phoned or emailed all the vet clinics I could find in the area.

He's safe of course as I foster for Whippet rescue and if we don't find his home, we will adopt him out to someone. And, then, he WILL be microchipped!

Heck, we just adopted out another Found Whippet a few weeks ago. That one was found running down a street in Comfort.

And, it's not like Whippets are a common breed in San Antonio. I lived here for a couple of years before I even met another one.

So, anyone out there who has a neighbor who may have lost their Whippet?

Tell them to check the Lost/Found ad on Craigslist