addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC Satanists, Luciferians, Dark Pagans, and LHP Occultists Message Board About this group and how we run it › Suggestions for change of venue?

Suggestions for change of venue?

Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 265
Some people have voiced dissatisfaction with the diner where we are meeting. This thread is intended to discuss possible new places to meet.

Please keep your suggestions within the following constraints:

• Must be at least as convenient to public transportation (from all 5 boroughs and from New Jersey and upstate NY) as our present location, which is very near to three subway stations and a PATH station, and only a 10-minute walk from Penn Station.

• Must be inexpensive. It should be possible to get a meal there for under $10.

• Must serve a variety of food, at least most of which should NOT be hot and spicy. The food must be at least decent.

• At the present time at least, a brightly-lit place is preferred, so that we (and especially I) can read. This requirement may become less necessary in the future.

The above assumes we're meeting at a diner or restaurant, which we will continue to do for now. Once we grow a bit larger, we'll start renting space. So, this thread welcomes suggestions for places where we can rent meeting rooms inexpensively, as well as diners/restaurants, although only diners/restaurants are relevant to our plans for the immediate future. Proposed meeting room rental spaces, too, must be centrally located and convenient to public transportation.

Please post complete location information (name, street address, cross streets, nearest subway stop) and contact information for any place you recommend.

Please note: This thread is for discussion about the place where we meet. If you wish to discuss other aspects of our meetings, please do so in separate threads here on this message board. For example, here is a thread on suggestions for discussion topics for future meetings, especially our forthcoming extra mid-month meeting in November.
A former member
Post #: 3
there are 2 public atriums in midtown: Sony on 55th & Mad and just north of that at 56 & Mad (will find the building name soon)
just tables, but next to Starbucks & Illy keosks
seems many people are not that interested in eating

near green, blue, & yellow lines
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 268
Thanks for the suggestion. What do others think?

One possible big disadvantage: The suggested venues are NOT within easy walking distance of Penn Station or (as far as I know) any PATH station. Also, they are not conveniently near quite as many different subway lines -- more important than buses for people from the outer boroughs.

On the other hand, they ARE within 15 minutes' walking distance of Grand Central Station. I would be interested to hear what our members in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York think of these locations.

From my own point of view as a Queens resident, while these locations are closer to Queens, they are not as good as our present Chelsea location from the point of view of being assured of getting a seat on the train on the way home.

But I will check them out next time I conveniently can.
A former member
Post #: 1
Speaking as one who comes from fairly far away :) there isn't significant added difficulty if a venue is a reasonably brief subway ride from Penn Sta., on the 6th, 7th, 8th Avenue lines or the N, R line, which are all very convenient to or accessible from within Penn Station. I also like the idea that eating isn't necessary; didn't like eating meal-type foods during meetings, in part because the Malibu food was such that I'd have to order a bit of this and a bit of that, but, if it were more like dessert and coffee---both reputed sources of Satanic energies LOL---the sugar and caffeine could stimulate our conversational brains!

With that in mind, would there be any reason, other than their usually being crowded, not to meet in a Barnes and Noble cafe? I will call and ask their corporate peeps if anyone else thinks it could be a good idea; I know in my area they allow an open-mike poetry/spoken word group to publicize their meetings and meet there on a regular basis. I'll also find out if there is a fee for that---again, if anyone's interested.

Ave Satana

Angela Amaladevi
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 279
I personally do prefer a place where one can have an inexpensive full meal, not just a coffee and dessert place. If enough other people feel otherwise, then I would like a place where we're allowed at least to bring and eat some food of our own (as I believe is allowed at Starbucks places, if I'm not mistaken -- this would need to be verified). I would bring sandwiches.

Drew
user 9632306
South Hackensack, NJ
Post #: 4
A few personal preferences:
1) As far as a locality - anywhere in Manhattan is fine with me. I appreciate a short walk or subway ride, but I can take a cab as well - so my "vote" is neutral. Just so you know my thoughts - even if the meetings were still in Queens I would support the locality even if it were a pain for me to get there (I would probably miss meetings though vs Manhattan). My point? The purpose and need for the group is that important to me that I am open to various venue's

2) Meals - I am open to that as well. I appreciate trying to keep the meal below $10.00 but at that price in Manhattan well "you get what you pay for".

3) I would prefer a restaurant over a "public space" such as the atrium's or BN. A modicum of privacy would be good.

4) Future space search for CoA rituals, etc.: I am wondering if Enchantments would be able to provide some space for our group? I know it is not located in the most convenient place for most people but they may be open to us - just a thought.

Drew

Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 280
2) Meals - I am open to that as well. I appreciate trying to keep the meal below $10.00 but at that price in Manhattan well "you get what you pay for".

3) I would prefer a restaurant over a "public space" such as the atrium's or BN. A modicum of privacy would be good.

An alternative you didn't mention, either to approve or to oppose it, was to go to a Starbucks -- to which, if I'm mistaken, we're allowed to bring our own food, as long as we also buy something, e.g. a beverage. What do you think of that idea?

4) Future space search for CoA rituals, etc.: I am wondering if Enchantments would be able to provide some space for our group? I know it is not located in the most convenient place for most people but they may be open to us - just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll also look into dance studios and rehearsal spaces.
Drew
user 9632306
South Hackensack, NJ
Post #: 5
Diane - I have not been to a Starbucks in NYC but the ones I have been to here in the burbs seat around 30 to 50. So if 10 or more of us attend meetings and occupy 1/5 to 1/3 of the space it may attract some unwanted attention from the hackers that frequent these places - unless of course they are closet Satanists! My point is people go to these places to be "seen". I would prefer something less public - again a diner or restaurant seems to fit that bill.

I was searching the web for Goth bars in the Village and the like, thinking that places like that may offer a more accepting atmosphere - but I don't have experience in the scene so the music, etc. may not be conducive to a meeting. And I am not sure about the prices.

But again I will go with what the group wants to do, be it a BN to Starbucks or the Malibu.

I like the idea of dance or rehearsal spaces for future CoA ritual space. - We are thinking at least!
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 282
Diane - I have not been to a Starbucks in NYC but the ones I have been to here in the burbs seat around 30 to 50. So if 10 or more of us attend meetings and occupy 1/5 to 1/3 of the space it may attract some unwanted attention from the hackers that frequent these places - unless of course they are closet Satanists! My point is people go to these places to be "seen". I would prefer something less public - again a diner or restaurant seems to fit that bill.

Good point. Thanks for raising it.

We need to meet in a LARGE place within which we can find some privacy. The best, for our purposes, is a large diner or restaurant.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 283
P.S.: One other requirement of any place where we do meet: It must have a bathroom.