addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
matt p.
user 12276793
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 5
Here is a tale I am sure some of you can relate to .It was a lovely Sunday morning and I was fast asleep when rudely awoken by someone hammering on my door .I reluctantly got out of bed and opened the door to find 2 men standing there clutching a load of leaflets and thrusting one towards me . "Do you believe in the one true god and saviour because we are here to tell you all about him?" Is the opening line . Im still half asleep so invite them in and go into my front room .This was mabye not too tactfull as in my state of asleepness forgot the huge Baphomet flag on the wall .Now it got bad .The small one has reached into his shoulder bag and has produced his personal Bible and is now trying to exorcise me whilst his companion clutched his cross as a true B- movie actor might infront of a poor vampire. At this stage I offered them a cup of tea which seemed only polite but they were already heading for the door and made a spectacular escape leaving a trail of" God is the way " leaflet carnage .
Is it me or does this seem a bit over the top .I would have hoped that todays religions would be a bit more tollerent or at least subtle about there feelings .I have a feeling this is not the end and they will be back in force to fight the devil (me) .Its so funny .I am going to try to film it as noone will believe me otherwise. A load of Jehovas whitnesses tried to save my friends soul because he suffered from a stammer (stutter) in his speach. Its total madness. Matt
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 485
There are many kinds of Christians. Some are, as you say you would have hoped, more tolerant. But the kinds of Christianity that are growing the fastest, worldwide, are the wild and crazy kinds.

The fastest-growing sector of Christianity is the independent ("nondenominational") Charismatic churches. Within that sector, a network called the "New Apostolic Reformation" or the "apostolic and prophetic" movement has been emerging, with explicit theocratic aims and lots of political influence already, in various countries around the world. For some research that has been done about them, see the pages listed here.
A former member
Post #: 2
I live opposite a seventh day adventist complex that, apparently, also doubles as some sort of xian sunday worship site. I am fairly ambivalent to their presence, as they are normally fairly reasonable neighbors, but some aspects of their behavior often attract my attention and bring forth a smile or two.

It is extremely rare for them to knock on the doors of people living close to their facility, or to leave pamphlets in nearby mail boxes. In fact I cannot remember ever encountering them directly. One can imagine them busting their insides to sign up more "lost souls" to infect, but obviously its not so important that they would risk upsetting the locals, who if annoyed, might start complaining and jeopardise their parking rights etc.

On Saturdays, when they are particularly numerous and their on site parking is full, they park in front of other residents' homes, which they are legally entitled to do, and in a live and let live world good luck to them. Again their presence doesn't worry me greatly. What amuses me though is the way they will park as close as possible to our driveways where they are still within the law, but so close any person with an average level of intelligence would find an alternative. Obviously rules trump common sense. Is this a xian trait?

As an aside, my next door neighbor, a terrific personality, is an elderly guy (78yo I think) with a propensity for turning his garden hose on any household within range that has the temerity to have an outside party that drags on past 8.00pm. Every Saturday morning, "religiously", he gets his lawn-mower out of the shed, fires it up, lowers the suspension as far as it will go, and with a wry but determined grin, proceeds to cut what used to be his front lawn (which with much mowing has turned into a gravel pit), spraying all the cars out front with stones. I don't necessarily agree with his intolerance, but sometimes I wonder if Satan "works in mysterious ways".