Jonesin’ for a challenge this weekend? We'll bring it on with a breathtaking – literally and figuratively --trek up to Jones Peak (elevation 3,375’) in the San Gabriels.
To wrap your head around the hike:
1. We start with a mostly-flat, scrubby side trip to a small waterfalls as a warmup, then start up the trail.
2. Next is a series of steep-ish switchbacks, each unveiling an ever-increasing view of Los Angeles, and an ever-decreasing view of the landmark Mother of Sorrows retreat center. (http://www.passionist.org/materdolorosa/welcome/missionhistory)
3. A second set of switchbacks leads to the Jones Peak saddle, where we’ll scramble up the final 300 feet to the peak for our next break, while enjoying the spectacular 270-degree view of the entire Los Angeles basin. Then it's back down to the saddle and up one more hill to the crossover trail into Little Santa Anita Canyon. (http://www.passionist.org/materdolorosa/welcome/missionhistory)
4. After the crossover, we head north about a half mile to Orchard Camp (the halfway point on one trail to Mt. Wilson). Originally a construction camp for workers, it was transformed into a popular resort that hosted 40,000 visitors during the 1911 season.
5. We’ll then backtrack to the intersection with the crossover trail, continuing straight down Little Santa Anita Canyon to our cars. The historic (http://www.passionist.org/materdolorosa/welcome/missionhistory) Lizzie’s Trail Inn (http://www.sierramadrenews.net/lizziestrailinn.htm) will be closed by the time we return, but we can still peek in the windows.
Level: Advanced/strenuous (to Jones Peak); moderate (crossover and down Little Santa Anita Canyon)
Gain: ~ 2,700+ ft.
Distance: ~9-1/2 miles
Time: 5-to-5-1/2 hours
Type: Loop, steep single track trail; mix of shaded and exposed sections
Restrooms: Available in the park just east of Lizzie's
Water: Available at the trailhead
Parking: Free street parking onMira Monte, E. Carter Ave. or N. Mountain Ave.
Bring: At least 3 liters of water, sunscreen, a hat, and some snacks to share at one of our several stops enroute.
Wear layered clothing and you may want poles for the downhill.
From the 210, exit Baldwin and drive north to Mira Monte. Turn right on Mira Monte and proceed toward Mountain Trail; you’ll see Lizzie’s on the North side of the street. Free street parking (no adventure pass required). Meet promptly at 7:30 am so we can divide up into a few cars and drive to the trailhead at Bailey Canyon Park ¾ miles to the west. When we’re done with the hike, we'll need a few people to shuttle the first group of drivers back to our cars at the trailhead.
Here’s a map. (http://goo.gl/maps/fFz86)
Shawn’s mobile: 213/[masked]
The Organizer, Assistant Organizers and event hosts in this group are not professional guides. The function of the organizer is only to organize the trip. Each person who signs up for a trip/meetup/ or outing is responsible for his or her own safety and the safety of his or her guests. By signing up for a hike, or any other event organized by this group, you are acknowledging that you are aware and have made your guests aware of the risks, dangers and hazards associated with any outdoor activity and freely accept and fully assume all such risks, dangers and hazards, and further agree to release and discharge the Organizer, Assistant Organizers and event hosts of this Meetup Group from and against any and all liability arising from your and your guest's participation in the group activities.