This group is for people who are interested in protecting & highlighting London's history by:
1) Getting involved with projects to protect London's history when it is under threat from being destroyed. This can be done by contacting the local and national press to make them aware, contacting the local MP, Council or local celebrities to highlight the cause.
2) Highlight historical events or people which are not recognized by submitting Blue Plaque or London Borough Plaque applications.
3) Obtain funding to celebrate anniversaries that are not recognized or to start projects that record London's history (example: Layers of London).
If you have any skills or experience that you think would come in handy (i.e, fundraising, crowdfunding, Lottery Funding applications), please list them when you join the group.
- Plaque on Whitechapel Road at the spot where Joseph Merrick (the Elephant Man) was first discovered (one was submitted 5 years ago to English Heritage, but it was rejected due to him "not being famous for doing anything").
- To replace the information boards that go round the old Roman Wall from Tower Hill to the Museum of London and continue them on to the River. They were installed in the 1970's and have not been maintained, with some missing, but they are all out of date (the Museum of London said they can be replaced if you have funding).
- Mural to Charlie Chaplin outside Kennington Tube Station (he grew up here and there is not much here about him).