addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Seattle Area Sea Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board Seattle Area Sea Kayaking Meetup Group Discussion Forum › advice on self loading sea kayak on mazda3 hatchback - frustrated

advice on self loading sea kayak on mazda3 hatchback - frustrated

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi fellow kayakers - can use some car kayak mounting advice

Bought a new car, Mazda 3 hatchback, and am having trouble self loading my sea kayak due to the fin on the hatch and the way the self mounts for the bars are very close together. The back bar is pretty far forward on the car.
Tried the Yakima boatloader that is suppose to assist side loading but I put a ding in my car door and found this device not helpful for someone on the shorter side.

Before I buy a kayak trailer, any recommendations on less expensive options? Any experience with the
Rhino T loader or other devices? I think even if someone drills new rack mounts for the back bar I will have the same issues. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Karen
valley skerry 16ft long, weighs 65 lbs.
Older yakima rack with hully rollers.
Saul_K
Saul_Kinderis
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 175
Karen,

Something that might work is placing a pad or a blanket over the fin and the back window, that way you can slide the bow of the boat, right up onto the rollers.

Saul

• Replace this text with the first item of your list
  • Replace this text with the next item
  • You can add more items by adding lines that start with a

Hi fellow kayakers - can use some car kayak mounting advice

Bought a new car, Mazda 3 hatchback, and am having trouble self loading my sea kayak due to the fin on the hatch and the way the self mounts for the bars are very close together. The back bar is pretty far forward on the car.
Tried the Yakima boatloader that is suppose to assist side loading but I put a ding in my car door and found this device not helpful for someone on the shorter side.

Before I buy a kayak trailer, any recommendations on less expensive options? Any experience with the
Rhino T loader or other devices? I think even if someone drills new rack mounts for the back bar I will have the same issues. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Karen
valley skerry 16ft long, weighs 65 lbs.
Older yakima rack with hully rollers.

A former member
Post #: 2
thanks Saul for your advice - tried the blanket which worked on a sedan but needed something to not drag so much on a hatchback.

Actually found this suv kayak roller that slips by the back fin of the hatch of the car I ordered and am going to try.
Found it at http://oakorchardcano...­.

So once I get this car set up see you on the water
Karen
RoyN
user 7967064
Seattle, WA
Post #: 24
Take a look at Thule's Slipstream kayak rack.