* WHAT ARE AUTHENTIC RELATING GAMES? *
Authentic Relating games are exercises that promote mindfulness, self-awareness, empathy, and compassion. Because the games are played between peers, participants are able to practice sharing their thoughts, impressions, and feelings in real time. Often there are certain contexts and settings where we are not able to share our experiences. This causes us to dissociate from our experience and can leave our feelings unprocessed leading to reactivity, tension, and a lack of empathy. People who participate in Authentic Relating games notice increased ease in navigating tension, faster recovery time from emotional experiences, and an increased ability to empathize with others.
WHAT’S THIS NIGHT ABOUT?
We’re going to explore aspects of empathy. Once we’ve connected with ourselves we can begin to connect with others. Empathy is defined as "the experience of feeling with another". It is used and promoted in counseling, social work, negotiation, and interrogation because it creates a bond between people. It puts people on the same side. Many people believe that empathy is an in-born trait, meaning you either have it or you don’t. This is false. Humans are natural empathizers and with a little coaching can learn how to communicate their empathy.
Authentic Relating is a growing movement with communities around the globe gathering to connect and enrich the human experience. (https://www.authrev.com/worldwide-connection)
* WHAT/WHO IS AUTHENTIC SEATTLE? *
We are a community that is unleashing our aliveness through self-expression, connection, and bearing witness to each other.
Seattle Tantra Center will be hosting monthly Authentic Relating Games nights. All are welcome to join.
- Address: 9414 Roosevelt Way
- Ample street parking and public transit options.
- Please arrive 15-20 minutes early to settle into the space so we can begin at 6pm. We lock the doors at 6:15.
- Cost: Donation basis $10-$40 suggested to support budding Seattle Tantra and Authentic Seattle communities. Cash, check or card accepted at the door. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. Your assistance with set-up or clean up would be most appreciated in lieu of financial support.
- Please note that Authentic Relating events are not a therapeutic setting, and the facilitators are not there in the role of counselors. If you have needs that would best be served by a mental health professional, do not consider this practice as a substitute for such care.- Games & Circling events can facilitate people making deep connections. Not everyone brings that connected experience with them after an event. Please remember to practice everyday politeness if you reach out to someone to connect socially after an event.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask any of the Authentic Seattle or Seattle Tantra facilitators.
Note: Currently STC has limited ADA accessibility. Our practice and meeting space has no stairs and is wheelchair accessible. However, our bathroom currently does not fit a wheelchair. (We are hoping to remedy this in early 2019). We will do our best to accommodate the physical needs of all bodies. If you have questions or concerns about your accessibility in our space, please contact [masked].