addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Secular Bible Study Message Board SBS Meetup Handouts & Notes › The lecture notes on Paul

The lecture notes on Paul

Grant S.
v42345cent
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 5
If you go to the section called 'files', you will be able to download the lecture notes on Paul.
Keith J.
user 8181967
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
There's a great deal of ground to be covered in your lecture outline notes regarding Paul, his letters, the influence of Paul in the formation of Christianity, etc. Way too much to have been covered in one evening which dealt at a high level with the Synoptic Gospels and the Two-Document Hypothesis of Q.

In the interest of looking at the formation of Orthodoxy and the Canon, I feel looking at the Christ Communities of Asia Minor and Paul's involvement with them, along with his interactions and influence with other Jesus movements of the time, plays an integral part in understanding the basis of the Biblical Text in the form we have it today and the understanding of traditional Christianity in general. Without that, those communities and Paul's role with them are simply assumed as representative of all the beliefs of that day, which really isn't the case, as is evidenced from within his writings themselves and the textual evidence external to his.

To look at just the formation of the Markan "narrative" text and the other Synoptic Gospels formed off that, without recognizing the Christ communities of Paul being addressed in the formation of Mark's Gospel, creates a somewhat skewed view of them standing alone as fully independent corroborations of each other. To understand Paul's congregations and their theologies, sheds a major light on the formation of later Orthodoxy which became the Christian Church itself, which in turn creating sweeping and deep views which formed the basis of Western Cultural world-views.

In other words, can we extend this discussion of the Canonization of the Christian NT at least another night to talk about Paul? There is a lot of material in your notes that merits being discussed. smile
Grant S.
v42345cent
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 6
No doubt, we have a lot to cover in the discussion of Paul. I will attempt to address some of the issues that Keith raises. An opportunity will be given for the groups to have activities that should clarify Paul's writings. The focus of my notes is on the authenticity of Paul writings, some on the content of the letters, and some on his differences with the Judaism of his day. Meeting everyone's expectations will not be possible. The lecture tries to take into consideration the various levels of knowledge and belief differences. I hope the discussions will reveal some of the interests and knowledge of the people present.
Chester O.
user 8161442
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 33
Hey Keith,

"In the interest of looking at the formation of Orthodoxy and the Canon, I feel looking at the Christ Communities of Asia Minor and Paul's involvement with them, along with his interactions and influence with other Jesus movements of the time, plays an integral part in understanding the basis of the Biblical Text in the form we have it today and the understanding of traditional Christianity in general."

This is a huge topic that would require us to go into some depth. I think initially providing a basic overview may be more appropriate, since there a large variety of people here with various levels of knowledge and education. I think many will be unaware that all of "Paul's letters" are not actually his! I feel your sentiment, though, and I hope that after we are done with basics, tackling issues such as yours will be possible. I will be putting up a post in the next few days for people to suggest topics for upcoming meetings, after the set of blocks has been completed, that is. I think your specific interest here is an excellent candidate.

I do want to mention that when I am planning a presentation on some of the various influential myths of the time of the Newer Testament. This, I think, will go some way to helping people understand some of the communities in which the Jesus movement took hold (I am thinking of Romans and Hebrews in particular here).
Keith J.
user 8181967
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
This is all very excellent! I'm really pleased with all these efforts being given to help open discussions and perspectives as groundwork for greater understanding and respect for all participants and their points of view. You're right, there is a great deal to cover in not only this area, but the whole area of understanding and respecting religious and secular beliefs operating in today's world. It's my belief that there is a great understanding and respect of ourselves to be found in looking into our stories, into our traditions, and the reasons behind how and why they hold both power and appeal for people. As you say, it's a look into that inner sanctum, through acknowledging that outer history.

Good job so far in making all this all happen. You have my support in your efforts.