addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Paul C.
user 5713438
Boston, MA
Post #: 2
After this evening's presentation by Rick on The Four Noble Truths, I thought on my walk home that it would be good for interested members of this Meetup to read Dhammapada, thought by many to be the kernel source material of Buddhist tradition, which was initially a verbal tradition. My favorite edition of Dhammapada, or sayings of the Buddha, is the Shambhala Pocket Edition, which is available at the Harvard Coop and other bookstores for around $7.95. I read Dhammapada almost daily and never cease to find new insights and inspiration in its pages. It is not dogma. It is loving wisdom, conveyed across time, by a non-religious seeker of happiness. Though I consider myself a secular humanist, much of my self-discovery and personal peace has been inspired and reinforced by studying Dhammapada. In my opinion, it is a secular teaching about the practice of seeking happiness, or liberation from suffering.
A former member
Post #: 9
Paul,

Thank you for the recommendation.
I really like your description of the Dhammapada as "loving wisdom."

Warm wishes,
Tim