What we're about
SWAG had its beginning in April 2012 when Wendy realized it was time for her and many of us to either get in shape or back into shape. And what better way to do that than walking and/or hiking? We started with about 10 people and have grown to 936 at the time of this writing. SWAG started off with two hikes a week – both evening ones. Now we have something going on just about every day of the week and just about every time of time.
We are a fun, congenial group of people who enjoy getting out and doing things together whether it be walking, hiking or any other adventure anyone can think of. It is a great way to get some exercise in, learn more about the local parks in the area and make some truly fantastic friendships along the way.
As most of you know there are a number of hiking groups in this area. SWAG is not one of those groups that are out for distance and/or speed. Sure there will be some longer hikes (mostly on the weekends) but we always stop and smell the roses so to speak. Actually many of us stop to take photos, take in the views or just to catch our breath. That being said we are a very diverse group and as such we have both fast and slow walkers. If you are on the slow side please know that you are just as welcome as those that are on the fast side. Our leaders do not leave anyone behind!
We are also very aware that it can be a bit intimidating to go on your first event with any group. Just remember that all of us at one time or another were the newbies in the group and I think all of us remember that feeling.
But as with most groups there are rules:
Membership: Membership is $5.00 per year due November first. You can pay through the meet-up website or you can pay via check (note: if paying by check please message Kendra for specific directions). Dues help to cover the cost of SWAG’s dues to the national Meet-Up organization, maintain a P.O. Box and contribute to a general event fund. Please do not attempt to give your dues to other leaders or organizers as it might be difficult for them to get it to me.
About Attending Events:
1. All events start at the time indicated. We do not wait for latecomers as that is not fair to those that arrive on time.
2. Please make sure that you click “Yes” to RSVP so the leader knows who and how many will be attending.
3. If you find that you will not be able to attend after stating that you will attend, please change your RSVP to “No” – even if that is at the last minute.
4. There will be many events posted that you either cannot attend or do not want to attend. That is perfectly alright. But please, you do not have to do anything if you do not plan on attending.
5. Please read the descriptions of the hikes. If there are hills and you cannot do hills for whatever reason it is probably best to not RSVP.
6. Remember that everyone accepts responsibility for themselves. This means knowing and accepting your capabilities; wearing proper clothing; bringing your own water and snacks.
7. Please check the website prior to the event in case there are any changes. This is especially important during bad weather.
We do not charge per event. However, there may be times in which you might be required to pay for parking or an entrance fee due to the venue. Those fees are paid directly to the venue.
Please note that the leaders and organizers are all volunteers. They are not paid and most do not have any real training in leading hikes. If you have a problem with any leader please do not comment on that event page. Instead please message Kendra and let her know of the situation that took place.
Now...let's get that SWAG going...