"We know them by their needs. What if we knew them by name?" That's the motto of Serve the City International. So what if we go over to our neighbours who our homeless at present and sit down with them, chat with them, and get to know them by name, so that they know they're not alone?
Let's each bring stuff our neighbours living on the streets could use, and we'll go and hang out with them for a little while. So that each volunteer feels safe, we'll have two volunteers per neighbour.
Some ideas of things to bring to offer to our neighbours - anything you think you would need if you were having to live in the street, such as:
Our neighbours have provided some feedback on their needs :-)
In addition to the list below they mentioned wipes, newspapers, backpacks, nail clippers, pens/pencils, paper, liquid soap, shampoo (better than bars and soaps)
- clothing, e.g. socks, pants/underwear, gloves, winter caps, scarfs
- toiletries, e.g. deodorant, soap, hand wipes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lip balm, women's products
- food (just remember though: a) harder to eat foods like apples may be difficult for many of our neighbours with little or no access to dental care; b) some may have dietary restrictions)
- drinks, even water
- plastic bags -- our neighbours need something to put their new items in!
- foil blankets
- hand gel -- for yourself, if you're concerned about germs, etc
Please, no pressure; anything you bring, big or small, should be appreciated. And the more we get to know our neighbours, the more we'll learn what we can bring that would be most helpful to them.
Assuming all goes well, hopefully we can continue to go out every other Wednesday, that is the weeks when our friends at the Sock Mob (http://www.meetup.com/thesockmob/) aren't going out. But absolutely no pressure at all to come on a regular basis, of course; each time you come, you'll have made a difference in someone's life, no doubt.
Any questions, please email an organiser. Can't wait to serve with you!!
We are also on Facebook! Serve the City London, Join us today!