addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Silicon Valley Automotive Open Source Message Board › Toyota's GPS free system

Toyota's GPS free system

Eunice L.
user 9678161
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 6
Alison C.
user 8979363
Group Organizer
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 507
Thanks for the link, Eunice. I find it hard to believe that future vehicles won't all include GPS, but camera-based technologies should be use to augment it, along with inertial navigation (gyros), wheel rotation data and potentially V2I communications as well.
Eunice L.
user 9678161
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 7
Yes, I agree. I thought the alternative solution using camera was interesting.
Dean L.
user 8824341
Milpitas, CA
Post #: 15
I find it fascinating how these localization strategies (such as described in the above article, and also LIDAR) parallel the strategies that us humans have employed ("used to employ"?) to locate ourselves prior to the days of the "magical" GPS devices!