Complete the Basic Competency Course and Self Drive Charter our Boats!
Calling all PPCDL (Powered Pleasure Craft Driving License) holders, in promoting basic competency, seamanship and safety in boat handling in Singapore, TBSA is launching a One-day basic competency course to enhance new PPCDL holders’ level of confidence in power boat handling in local waters. TBSA competency course serves as an avenue for newly licensed boaters to test out their boating knowledge and skills that they have learnt from the PPCDL course. Notwithstanding, experienced boaters who have not been boating for a while can also attend this course to refresh their knowledge and skills. TBSA has been conducting Competency course for sometime to many boaters so far, and we acknowledge the busy schedule of many people out there, thus we have compress our Competency course into a One-day course instead of a three sessions course, for the convenience of attending.
The purposes of this program are:
1. to help new PPCDL holders gain the skills and confidence required to enjoy boating safely and responsibly.
2. to satisfy TBSA’s criteria of seamanship required to charter our fleet of boats for self-drive purposes.
3. to allow experienced boaters who have not been driving boats for sometime to refresh their knowledge and skills. It is also serves as an update to any change of the port regulations in relation to boating in Singapore.
4. to let individual aware of their own level of competency in boat handling. The program allows the trainers to identify individual strong and weak areas in boat handling. And provide additional training when deemed necessary.
5. to let participants have the opportunity to drive the boats from the marina to the Southern Islands of Singapore with guidance provided by the TBSA trainers onboard.
Outline of the TBSA Competency program includes:
1. Planning of Boating trip and Pre-departure preparations
a. Introduction of relevant charts and publications for route planning
b. Introduction of mobile application for route planning
c. Information on Weather, Tides, Wind and Current
d. Safety checks and preparation
a. Introduction to GPS, Compass
b. Identifying landmarks and hazards 3. Boat Handling
a. Application of Rules of the Road
b. Weight distribution and trimming
c. Throttle control and speed and management
d. Avoiding debris and obstructions
a. Actions to be taken during MOB
b. Factors to be considered during MOB recovery
As part of the program, each participant will be provided with a log book, where participant can record details of the trip and feedback from our TBSA trainer for future reference. Once you have satisfied all criteria of a competent skipper, you will be upgraded to a self-drive charterer in our TBSA system and have access to very attractive self-charter rates
It is worth noting that while we have put together a program to help share boating knowledge and skills in a structured way, TBSA is by no means a governing body with the authority to certify the competency of boaters against international standards.
Participants for this program must hold a valid PPCDL and meet all other requirements required for a PPCDL.
Cost: $100 per pax
Course Capacity: Min 2 and Max 4
We will meet at the back of the Wharf Cafe at the round tables. Please call[masked] if you are unable to find the location.