With rapid changes arising from 2012 JOBS Act (Jumpstart Our Business Startups), food enterprises have more and more options to raise money from many.
But which Crowdfunding Platform is right for your business?
To answer that question, Amy Cortese, author of Locavesting, will guide us through presentations from representatives of various Crowdfunding platforms. Presenters include:
• Smallknot (http://smallknot.com) - Donations for local companies - Founder Jay Lee
• IOBY (http://ioby.com) - Micro-donations for local environmental projects - Founder Erin Barnes
• KivaZip (http://kivazip.com) - Zero Interest Loans for local businesses - Liezl Van Riper
• Credibles (http://credibles.com) - Prepay for farm and store credits - Founder Arno Hesse
• Mission Markets (http://missionmarkets.com) (Beta) - Customizable platform for impact capital raising - Dawn Edwards
• Return on Change - Crowdinvesting for High Impact Startups - Founder Sang Lee
Entrepreneur Presentations: Entrepreneurs will present their story of sustainable business for 10 minutes each. Apply here (http://slowmoneynyc.org/seeking-funding-or-help-for-your-project.html) to present. Invited enterprises include:
• Blue Marble Ice Cream (http://www.bluemarbleicecream.com) - Jennie Dundas, Founder - Organic Ice Cream Made in NYC.
• Iroquois Valley Farms (http://iroquoisvalleyfarms.com) - Kevin Egolf - Fund for Purchase and Preservation of Small Farms
• The Splendid Spoon (http://thesplendidspoon.com) - Nicole Chaszar, Founder - Ready to eat vegan soups made with local ingredients
Lightning Round of Elevator Pitches from concept-stage business:
• Bed Stuy Fresh and Local (http://bedstuyfreshandlocal.com/) - Sheila Akbar, Founder - Community Grocery Store stocking Locally-Sourced Foods
Our Pitch Competitors: Where Are They Now? We invited participants in our Pitch Competition from the Food Book Fair held on May 5, 2013 Status Update:
• Sohha Savory Yoghurt (http://www.sohhayogurt.com/) - Angela Fout, Founder - Savory yogurt made with NY milk
• Rooftops Reds (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rooftop-Reds/331925496935387) - Devin Shoemaker - Rooftop wine grapes for urban vintages
• Global Kitchen (http://globalkitchenny.com) - Leah Selim, Founder - Cooking Classes celebrating Chef Instructor's authentic culture and traditional recipes.
• Switchel LLC (http://www.vtswitchel.com/) - Ely & Garrett, Founders - Hydrating beverage with all-natural local ingredients
• Farm to People (http://www.farmtopeople.com/) - Michael & David Robinov, Founders - Online store featuring independent, small-batch producers and small farms from the Northeast region.
• Invited: Borough Mushrooms, Local Bee, and Browder's Birds.