THIS IS FOR PICNIC ONLY. STARTS AT 5 PM AT LOCATION TO BE DETERMINED.
Picnic Site changed to: Canoe Meadows Day Use Area.
Directions: Take Hwy 40 south for 5.9 km ( approx ) The day use area is on the right side of the road. I think it is signed. It is just before the Barrier Lake Information Centre.
This will be more convenient for everyone, especially those wishing to join us from Yamnuska and Calgary.
This year for our 2nd anniversary I thought we'd try something different. We will have a choice of a few hikes in the vicinity of Ha Ling. This will be followed by a Picnic.
Ha Ling was our original (#1) hike when Slow and Steady started in September 2011. We've grown a little since then. So instead of one hike lets do a bunch and all meetup after.
So here's some choices: All will have an organizer or 2 or 3 tagging along.
YOU CAN RSVP FOR THESE HIKES ON SEPARATE TRIP POSTINGS.
1. Ha Ling ( T4, 4.5KM return, 740 meters) If you haven't yet bagged an official Rockies peak this should be your first.
2. EEOR ( S5 6.5KM return, 900 meters ) Also known as the East End of Rundle. Wave to your friends on Ha Ling. Maybe they'll wave back. Andy Dragt will organize this trip.
3. Lawrence Grassi ( S6, 7KM return, 940 meters ) Ha Lings higher neighbour. Mostly a grunt to the top with some fun scrambling near the summit. You can wave to your friends on Ha Ling but EEOR may be a bit far. Jessica Caden will organize this trip.
4. Old Goat Glacier ( OT4 , 10.5 KM return, 640 meters ) Hike to a hanging canyon gouged by Old Goat Glacier. Awesome views of Spray Lakes. Maybe see your friends on Lawrence Grassi. Karen L will organize this trip.
5. Westwind Pass ( T3, 8.4 KM return, 350 meters ) Hike to a nice viewpoint of Spray Lakes. This route contnues on to the Windtower but that will be for another day and is also a scramble.
6. Grassi Lakes ( T2 ) For those maybe wishing a later start and an easier option. MAYBE IF I FIND AN ORGANIZER TO DO THIS ONE
Organizers will be posting separate hike pages for these this week, so sign up for the hike of your ability and we will all meet up at bow valley provincial park for a picnic after the hikes.
The idea would be to start meeting at the picnic area between 4 and 5 PM. Bring hot dogs, sausages, salads chips, marshmallows, pop and of course "some" beers ( we have to be careful with those ). Lawn chairs may also come in handy.
Any other hike ideas in the area are welcomed also, Just let us know.
Gas fees are $20 per passenger .
View from EEOR to Ha Ling and Lawrence Grassi. Spray Lakes is in the distance.
Lawrence Grassi from Ha Ling - Karen L's boots
Waivers: As per the new policy for waivers; I will bring the group waiver form with me to both the Calgary Meetup location and the trailhead. You must sign it before you will be allowed to go on this hike. You will also be asked to provide the name and phone number of an emergency contact. You are fully aware that organizers are not professional guides and you assume all responsibility for your safety and well-being. You are fully prepared with proper gear and you're physically fit to do this hike with the group