PRAIRIE MOUNTAIN NIGHT HIKE
This Night Hike is exclusively for experienced intermediate Prairie Mountain hikers.
This means ...
1) you are familiar with Praire Mountain and have hiked up Prairie Mtn in the past year and you are competent and capable with your hiking fitness level to be able to complete this event.
2) you have Katoola Micro Spike, a good Headlamp with spare batteries, Whistle, Hiking Poles.
3) you are willing to participate in the "BUDDY" System (minimum of two people) - no Lone Rangers. We all start up at 6:00 PM and we are all back at the vehicles at 8:30 PM
1. WINTER: it is cold and a wind chill increases the risk.
2. DARK: a familiar trail looks very different at the end of a light beam with an increased risk of losing your way in the dark.
Event Directions: Head to Bragg Creek on Hwy 22 as it turns into Hwy 66. Continue on and park in the Elbow Falls parking lot.
Distance: 7 km ... Elevation: 700 m ... Duration: 3 hours.
PARTICIPANTS INFO: Members Only ... 18 and older only
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 12
All participants are expected to act as a responsible member of the group. Shared values of this trip include personal responsibility and mutual reliance (we all look out for one another), fun, safety and respect. The organizer is not a guide, but has the final say in matters of safety.
CARPOOL: Meet Up is the Trailhead, where we sign the Waiver ... If you need a ride please connect with other participants in the Comments section or Private Message. Carpool location is theStarbucks at Chapters 16061 Macleod Trail S.E. with a suggested gas donation of $10.00 for the driver.
Dress in layers - you'll warm up and cool down fast ... think wind, and snow.
KATOOLA MICRO SPIKES HEADLAMPS AND WHISTLES are MANDATORY (don't question it, just bring it)
1 litre of water, energy bars or trail mix for snacks
Personal First Aid Kit
1. In the event of significant weather change in the area on the day of the event, the event will be re-evaluated.
2. Your Hosts are volunteers, not trained guides. Participants are responsible for assessing the current road conditions, weather conditions, current trail conditions and current avalanche conditions for the trip and are responsible for their safety and well-being.
3. If I do not know your hiking history I will send a Private Message for a response to ensure this is a good fit for you.
4. It is the responsibility of the participant to check for any updates, changes or cancellations. Gear checks will be conducted at the meet up location. Failure to have the required gear will result in the participant not attending the trip.
WAIVERS: You submit that you are fully prepared with proper gear and you're physically fit to do this hike with the group. Your written consent is required for attending this event. You will be asked to provide the name and phone number of an emergency contact. Please read the Waiver by clicking HERE I will bring the group waiver form to the Calgary Slow and Steady Meet Up location.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack."
Love to explore the outdoors!
Love being outdoors, and enjoy the mountains!!