addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Slow and Steady Hikers Message Board › Slow and Steady Confusion

Slow and Steady Confusion

Andy D.
ThePiedPiper
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
I'm sorry that in the description for the club some members thought slow and steady meant a club for beginners. I will never turn anyone away from a hike unless they are ill equiped and not experienced enough for that particular hike. I will work better on rating the hikes.
ie: Beginner Hike, Moderate, Difficult, Scramble. I would definately not recommend any beginner to go on any scrambles or difficult hikes until they are more experienced.

When it comes to equipment for the moderate and up to scramble hikes I suggest everyone has a good pair of hiking boots ( no sneakers ). Also I like to hike with poles ( make going up and down easier ) but they aren't mandatory. Also have at least a 20L pack so you can carry enough water, clothing and food.

Karena
user 184060705
Bragg Creek, AB
Post #: 2
For those looking for more beginner level hikes, they can join the Bragg Creek Woodland Walkers. We do easy to moderate hikes that are 1-2 hours and well under 500m elevation.
coche
user 154883432
Calgary, AB
i got turn down many times because i am a beginner hiker. i'm a young man who regularly run and bicycle in the evening.
Linda
user 53100532
Calgary, AB
Post #: 33
Hiking is not only about physical fitness, Coche, it's about preparedness, safety knowledge, etc. That's why we keep people on Beginner hikes until we know they're properly geared up, and aren't going to pose a safety problem on the trail.
coche
user 154883432
Calgary, AB
i understand. ty Linda
wayne
user 54481492
Calgary, AB
Post #: 10
I have put on beginner hikes and had hikers who were complaining it was to hard or long.Beginner means you are in decent shape to do fairly long walks on fairly flat up and down terrain. If your not at least in walking shape.ie: have been doing long walks daily in city parks etc.for weeks prior to a beginner hike,if not a beginner hike may be difficult.
Michel B.
user 197469368
Calgary, AB
Always the same with Clubs , always the same issues. You've got to know your people so this may require some patience with the newbies. Easy, beginner... I did the 190 M to Lake Louise. It was not flat. I do biking in front of my tv, the elliptical for an hour, wear shoes insert, seriously overweight. I did it and rested in the Hotel at lunch time.
My mistake : I paired just about every clothes. Too heavy. Linda adjusted the speed so I could make it. This one was a uphill. Finally it comes to KNOWING YOUR PEOPLE. This is the most important requirement for approval. We had the same issues in the Canoe Club Les Portageurs in Montreal. Except that it is more important to be in shape for hiking. Canoeing is more forgiving on that aspect until you get to a portage where you start complaining as much as you sweat.
Andy D.
ThePiedPiper
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 111
With 4800 members it's hard to know all your people. Our club is free to join and I think we do a great job of preparing hikers with a great hike rating system, seminars ( that you have too pay for but aren't mandatory ), an awesome group of organizers etc. etc.. It does come down to the individual and also reading the WHOLE TRIP DESCRIPTION ( not just looking at the pretty photos and signing up). Also if a hiker is unsure, click on the organizers profile and message your questions or concerns. We are very open to reply. Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
Michel B.
user 197469368
Calgary, AB
Hey did I say I have enjoyed my ride on the lake Louise.
4.8k members! This is more than the 6 of us on that trip. What is the activation ratio ? How many trips a year is considered to be an active member ? There are 3 terms that come to my mind : Beginner, easy and pace. Beginner refers to the knowledge of the sport , equipment. Easy refers to the trail like flat terrain, distance. Pace is pace. The profile people put in their description helps getting an idea of the people. Of course you will always have the odd ones. I inderstand

Linda
user 53100532
Calgary, AB
Post #: 37
Michel, you did just fine, and we didn't end up going any slower than we usually do on my trips. The problem is always the same - one person's idea of "slow", "easy", etc., won't be the same as someone else's. And yes, you likely had more gear than you needed. If you're not sure, you can always ask the Organizer. I carry lots of gear because I carry certain things that we would only need in EXTREME emergency, but I don't believe absolutely everyone in the group needs to have. If you're carrying what's on my list of Required Gear, and whatever else you might need personally, I'm quite happy. See you out on the trails!