addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SoCal Node.js Message Board › LA Open Source #5 is November 5th!

LA Open Source #5 is November 5th!

Daniel Roy G.
pyDanny
Encino, CA
Post #: 12
LAOpenSource is an event for coders interested in contributing to open source projects.

The $10 fee includes the following:

* The opportunity to lead a sprint on an open-source project, or to join a sprint team

* Light breakfast (bagels or something along those lines)

* Lunch

* Dinner

* Tight security to keep the "idea guys", "idea gals", and other distractions out.

When you RSVP, specify in the comments what open-source project you'll be working on. If you don't know, specify what languages, libraries, or frameworks you plan to work with.

FAQ

I'm just starting as a programmer, should I come?

It depends. If you've never coded before, this isn't the right place. Instead, you might consider one of the local coding workshops or classes. In fact, here's a good bi-weekly hack night / study group for you.

If you've done a tutorial or two, sprints can be a great way to learn new skills or hone your technique by sitting alongside experienced developers who actually need your help. A lot of projects have what are called 'low hanging fruit', which are 'simpler' tasks saved for beginner developers to wet their teeth on.

Can I volunteer?

Email support (at) laopensource dot org if you want to help in the days before, or during the actual day the sprint. This will be a 150-person event, so we need all the help we can get.

Can I lead a sprint?

Yes! Post links to the project page and repo in the comments below. We will add them to the event description.

Can my developer meetup group have a table?

Yes! If you run a meetup (e.g. NoCal node.js or others), we encourage you to use this event as an excuse to get your group together to work on open source projects. Email support (at) laopensource dot org with a link to your meetup, and we'll add your logo.

Where's the IRC channel?

#laopensource on irc.freenode.net. Some of us are in there now. Come on in and say hi.

What's the social media hashtag?

Use #laopensource to help us find each other's tweets, photos, etc.

Can I come to find free work for my startup? To recruit developers?

Absolutely not.

While we certainly love our local recruiters, CTOs, and entrepreneurs, this event is being held to allow developers within the open source community to work among others with similar interests and motivations. If you are found to be attempting to recruit those who attend, you will be given a yellow warning card and clearly told that recruiting is not allowed within this event. Should you continue, you will be given a red card to keep as a souvenir and asked to leave without refund.

Other questions?

Email support (at) laopensource dot org.