addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

OC, LA and IE Photo Explorers! Message Board › What causes hot spots on images

What causes hot spots on images

A former member
Post #: 55
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what causes "hot spots" on my images. My camera is 3 years old with a lot of mileage on it. The sensor was cleaned not too long ago. Is it time to replace my camera?

Cindy
JJFotography
JJFotography
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 47
Can you post a sample photo? 3 yrs isn't that old, the shutter actuation count is what matters. Were the hot spots appearing before the sensor cleaning?
A former member
Post #: 56
Can you post a sample photo? 3 yrs isn't that old, the shutter actuation count is what matters. Were the hot spots appearing before the sensor cleaning?

Thanks! No the spots were not there before cleaning. This is a recent thing. I will find a sample to post. It's usually a red spot somewhere in my photo. It's not from sun glare but just a red spot.
JJFotography
JJFotography
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 48
No the spots were not there before cleaning. It's usually a red spot somewhere in my photo.
If the problem started just after the sensor was cleaned, it may have been damaged. Even when cleaned by the mfg, I've heard of sensors being worse after than before. Upload a good sample, and I can show it to a bunch of photographers on Facebook - they talk about things such as moire and vertical artifacting, which I can't even see LOL.
A former member
Post #: 57
Looks like I deleted the ones with spots.
JJFotography
JJFotography
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 49
Shoot another sample, maybe against a plain black or white background so it's more obvious.
A former member
Post #: 58
Shoot another sample, maybe against a plain black or white background so it's more obvious.

Okay, thanks for your help.
Eugene P.
InsaneO
Encino, CA
Post #: 109
You are talking about hot pixels?
If so there is a way to map them out depending what camera you are using.