**Please read this message in its entirety as agenda times are different than last meeting**
Topic: Commutication – An Exploration of Idea Transfer With Words
Communication is a key skill for any profession and especially true for testing. Damian Synadinos will be sharing an abbreviated version of his workshop that will be presented later this spring at STPCon.
Below is a description taken from his workshop:
“By words we learn thoughts, and by thoughts we learn life.” – Jean Baptiste Girard
How are concepts conveyed? How are thoughts shared? One way is by using words. But, which words should you use? And how can you tell if your words effectively convey your thoughts? What causes miscommunication, what are its effects, and how can you avoid it? And what are the benefits and limitations of a shared language?
We will move from general to specific as we collaboratively attempt to understand and answer these questions. Starting with the definition of definition, we will investigate words and meaning, their properties, and their relationship. We will examine how miscommunication can occur, look at some potential consequences of it, and explore a few methods to minimize it. Finally, we will apply these ideas as we attempt to define some common testing terms and create a “common testing language”. In the end, attendees will gain new knowledge and tools to help them more effectively transfer ideas with words.
• The meaning of words and meaning.
• Some causes and effects of miscommunication and strategies to avoid it.
• The difficulty of creating a shared language, even in a microcosm.
• Ways to better understand others, and be better understood.
5:45-6:00 - Networking
6:00-6:05 - Announcements
6:05-7:50 - Presentation & Discussion
7:50-8:00 - Networking
Please FEEL FREE to bring food with you to the meetup.
This meeting is for:
- Seasoned QA & Testing Professionals
- New testers starting out
- Those interested in starting a career in testing
- Anyone interested in learning more about Testing
Time & Location:
6565 Kilgour Place, Dublin OH[masked]:00-8:00 p.m. - March 29th, 2016
- Take I-270 to Exit 17A (US 33 East/161 East)
- Exit 17A will turn into Dublin Granville Rd.
- Turn left on to Post Road (1st intersection you come to)
- Veer immediately right onto Frantz Rd./Kilgour Place. You will see a sign for OCLC
- Drive into the campus. You will see three buildings. At the stop sign, turn left and follow signs for the Kilgour building. Visitor parking is out front.
- Please come into the visitor entrance of the Kilgour building (by the lake) and let the receptionist know you are here for the meetup.
Be sure to tell your friends and co-workers about this meeting.
Don't forget to RSVP!
I look forward to seeing you there.
- Matt & Mindy Hutchison