addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sonoma County Photography Group Message Board Equipment Questions and Recommendations › Best Tablet for Photographers. Your thoughts?

Best Tablet for Photographers. Your thoughts?

This message board is read-only.

Diane
user 12649281
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 6
I'm debating what tablet currently on the market would work best for uploading CRaw from CF card, reviewing, storing and sending to dropbox (photo stream?? Cloud?) my images while traveling. Would love to hear from our group as to what you use and why. The old laptop is dying and a new purchase is in my future. Would rather use the smaller tablet format than larger laptop, but all online reviews don't necessarily pertain to photographers, so I'm asking the people who know! Thanks SoCoPho experts.
Bob C.
user 13080704
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 13
I used an iPad in August for a month in France. I was hoping it would be a lighter alternative for the laptop. It was lighter, but I was not able to store images the same as a laptop. I could review the days shoot, and pull out a few images but there was not the storage ability to keep all on the iPad. Also, it did not seem that easy to move things to dropbox. Fortunately I had one the small Photo Safes that allowed me to simply plug a card into the device and it automatically downloaded all images. If the iPad allowed for plugging in a thumb drive things would have been much easier. I don't usually do any heavy duty editing on the road. That would not have worked. Neither Photoshop or Lightroom is really available for the pad. Perhaps on of the Android pads or the Microsoft Surface might work better. But never having used those, I can't comment.
Diane
user 12649281
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 7
Thanks for the input Bob. It helps. I don't know about the Photo safe you are referring too? Could you provide more info? That might be a help on the next trip if I don't have the tablet yet (and I likely won't).

Thanks . Appreciate your input.
Grant K.
Solano
Fairfield, CA
Post #: 537
Diane

Check out - Digital Foci Photo Safe II PST-251 500 GB Digital Picture Storage (Blue/White)

I found them on Amazon
Paul F.
Paul_Freitas
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 59
I have a nexus 7 (android) tablet. With an adapter plug and apps like "RawVision" and "Photoshop Touch" you can load, view, edit and upload to the cloud fairly handily. The trouble is the storage limits on tablets (considering how large raw files are typically) and to some degree their relatively slow transfer speeds. For the few trips abroad I've made in recent years I much prefer a small lightweight (13") and not necessarily expensive laptop. You get plenty of hard drive space, fast transfer speeds (USB 2 or 3), and your can see and edit your precious pics on the spot after a fruitful day of photography. Programs like photoshop, lightroom, and photomatix allow you to load a 2nd copy onto your lappy; so you manipulate, make albums, and slideshows that you can upload to social sites for your fans and followers (real or imaginary) eagerly waiting back home. Personally I'm very impatient to see how my shots turned out and would hate to wait till I got back home.
Bob C.
user 13080704
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 14
I was about to say what Grant said. There are two capacities at Amazon. A 320 gig and a 500 but with only about $8 between them go with the 500.
Diane
user 12649281
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 8
Thank you for the feedback Bob, Grand and Paul. Still trying to decide. Feeling very overwhelmed. But your advice is very much appreciated. I'll check out the Nexus. Any other traveling advice or experiences regarding this topic are welcome!
Tom D.
user 40497812
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 19
I must agree with Bob and Grant... get a storage device or carry enough memory cards. For me, I only use my iPad (mini) for sharing my images, not for storage or manipulation/enhancement. It connects (wirelessly) to my Apple TV so I can show my images large on a TV.
Besides, you don't want to spend all your time "uploading" while on vacation. Use your phone/tablet to keep in touch with the world (if you must). And save the 'work' for when you get home.
PS: Again, I agree with what's been said... if you must work while traveling, I take my 13" Dell laptop with me, and a 'drop-proof' external hard drive.
Enjoy your journey!
Diane
user 12649281
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 9
The Nexus is looking good right now. It serves a number of purposes for me. I appreciate all your input. Thanks
Paul F.
Paul_Freitas
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 60
If you do go with a nexus 7 then check out this site for all the cool modifications you can make for it.

Nexus 7 forum